RT list: Grice on analysis and theory

From: <jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 22:59:31 BST

"Can you give feedback on this?" (post, ¨Where is the RT module
located?"

Should we call the module the ¨relevance THEORY" module, or plain
RELEVANCE module. (Recall that French author discussing whether a
chimaera can enjoy eating secondary intentions! Just joking)

The use of ´theory´ has been problematic, or at least problematized by,
of all people, Schiffer, who will problematise a fly (he says that we
have no right to use the word "mean"!).

A theory is a gap between certain percepts (observational terms) and a
black box comprising the assumed theoretical concepts. This is
something an agent can work with. We do work with theories. Grice´s
Method in Philosophical Psychology is all about the theory that a
squarrel (a type of squirrel) who knows that grabbing nuts will
decrease his hunger.

But a relevance theory? I haven´t checked but I think it´s a different
use of ´theory´. Grice warns us to distinguish theory from ´analysis´,
and Sperber-Wilson have pointed out that the Gricean analysis of
meaning provides descriptive or observational adequacy to a theory. But
the explanatory adequacy comes from the idea of rule, maxim, principle,
etc -- rationality at full speed, as it were.

For the Greeks, to theorise was to ¨look¨, and they thought that to
look was a factive (alla Kiparsky). You see the sun, you theorise the
sun. How this transparent notion became=2
0opaque (for it´s silly to look
at the sun directly) is one of the big issues of the Western
civilisation, as we know it!

Personally, I don´t interfere my hard disk with the relevance theory
module. I have it in a separate compartment, in a vat. And connect it
ad placitum, and only for extremely IRRELEVANT utterances I hapen to
come across!

NOTE. The clearest view by Grice on analysis vs. theory I found in the
retrospective epilogue (strand on meaning). He seems to be saying that
qua Oxonian philosopher he spent most of his life analysing things (no
more was required of a tutor). But then he went to America, where they
technologise things, and Quine was writing on theories, and the bug
COULD have gotten him. There is a sense in which the ´implicature´ of
THEORY in the Oxonian circles that Grice frequented, ´theory´ was too
grand of a word? Carston has noted that Grice did title his 1961, ¨The
theory of perception" -- the causal theory, at that. But is it a theory
or a sketch for a theory. Whenever I read that passage in that essay,
¨We shouldn´t be concerned as philosophers to fill the gap that would
make this a THEORY THEORY -- we are not scientists!¨. In later, more
conservative days, he conceived of THEORY THEORY as the brainchild of
Kantotle, too.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza