RT list: Urmson´s Parentheticals -- Revisited

From: <jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 16:16:48 BST

It always fascinated me about the Playgroup (led by Grice after
Austin´s demise) that each member should be so "talented" in an
individual kind of way. Take J. O. Urmson -- by far the greatest living
English philosopher -- and his "Parentheticals". I for one marvelled at
the use of "scale" (by Urmson) to mean exactly what neo-Griceans dub
the "scalar implicature" for things like

  (I know, I believe)

Urmson, who was born in Harrogate -- a posh place to be born then and
now -- has merited his festschrift to which J. Hornsby and indeed D.
Wilson and D. Sperber have contributed. (And which was _meant_ to
include Hare´s Subatomic particles of logic as the footnote for _Mind_
and disagreement with the editors testify). Cheers, J. L. S.