RT list: Grice's "evolutionary story"

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 00:50:35 BST

In the recent (indeed first) issue of "International Review of Pragmatics"
(I was going to write "I. R. P." but as my grandmother reminds me, "Use
abbreviations for AJV and OED and _stop_"), R. Carston refers in a footnote
to the 'evolutionary story' she likes to hear from D. Sperber -- and indeed
we (majestic I) have 'discussed' (i.e. monologued) on this and that re:
teleo-functionalism elsewhere. ('monologued' is hyperbolic: surely some
people have provided the evolutionary feedback loop!)

----
This to add a good reference, I hope, I came across  today:
It's from S. Chapman's book, _Grice_.
And it's the word  'evolution'! -- I have been trying to find references
that depict the Gricean  picture as 'evolutionary' -- but I don't think Grice
would use the word/verb,  'evolve' hisself [sic].
Elsewhere I was engaged in a polemic about the  alleged distinction between
'accomodation' (e.g. as in Thomason, "accomodation  and implicature") and
'evolve' --. Oddly, the OED has this quote, "Accomodation  is what adaptation
means in a psychological context".
I was browsing  Chapman ('s book) to see if she would use 'accomodate' and
she DOES:
To  deliver the Locke lectures at Oxford, Grice -- Chapman notes  ''
"had to re-accomodate to the formalities of  Oxford"
Some re-accomodation! E.g. Chapman quotes from one of the  unpublications
of H. P. Grice:
'gown or not  gown?'
--- which may relate to a current talk by Chapman on 'or' and A.  Naess.
------- Anyway, the serious quote, though is how Chapman uses  'evolution'
-- disguised as it were as an adjective and adverb:
She is  discussing what I call 'pirotologica':
The pirot maker, Chapman writes,  "is bound by one rule and one rule only:
every capacity must be useful to the  pirot AT LEAST in terms of survival."
This allows, "perhaps," guesses  Chapman, "to IMPLY -- but not say -- that
'psychological capacities might [but  then again might not? JLS] be
EVOLUTIONARILY derived, *without* having to COMMIT  to this or any other biological
theory." (p. 153).
The details escape me,  but it was fun that Chapman should quote from an
Brit Airways 'sick bag' (The  unpublications of H. P. Grice -- :)) where he
wrote:
"read:  [Dawkins], Selfish  gene"
'chimp' lit
-- that is _so_ me: I collect notes telling me what to read.  Chapman also
notes that Grice took "Leibniz" with him to England (1978), which  warmed
me, as I always found the man (Leibniz) incomprehensible even via  Parkinson
-- and was always 'intrigued' in the romance sense of the word that  Grice
would consider him (Leibniz) a genius.
Cheers,
J. L.  Speranza
Steps!