RT list: foolproof

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Sat Jul 04 2009 - 13:32:39 BST

In a message dated 7/3/2009 4:09:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
alessandro.capone@istruzione.it writes:
A propos of 'foolosopher',
I suppose one should treat dead people and respectable philosophers with
respect. I am not completely sure that this is what is being done.
ale

----

I think you misunderstood my 'point'. "foolproof" is the expression used by
 R. Carston in her online essay in I. R. P.

I elaborated on various versions of 'fool' versus 'idiot' proof.

And I keep thinking about it: perhaps that's why in my PhD (ch. ii) I only
focused on truth-functional connectives ('and', 'or', 'if' -- in that
order).  Consider 'and' ("p & q").

If 'truth-conditions' we owe to Witters, so it's to him we owe a few other
things. If I say, "This metaphysica excrescence is beautiful and so is this
 other one". The logical form of that is, "p & q". But 'metaphysical
excrescence' (to use Grice's term) is _not_ something we _want_ in a 'picture'
of reality. So we can _skip_ the 'propositional content' of "p" and "q" and
focus on 'and', which is safely.

p  &   q
1  1    1
1  0    0
0  0    1
0  0    0

There is _not_ an infinite variations of 'connectives'. Only a definite
cardinal number is possible (vide Gazdar), so it's up to Grice (WoW iv) to
understand (via a 'rational reconstruction', as Emma Borg would put it in her
footnote to her essay -- and vis a vis RT, which is more of an empirical
theory)  why we can only have 'metiers' (the term Grice uses, after Wilson
(John Cook))  for 'and', 'or' and 'if'.

Now, Urmson ("Philosophical Analysis") (in the quote I gave to Horn, as he
uses it in "Implicature", Handbook of Pragmatics) takes up Strawson's
example,  "He married and had a child", and gives one that Grice will later use
('Presupposition and Implicature' but NOT in the repr. version), "He took
off  his trousers and went to bed".

So what we have here is an _algorithm_. Witters played with (Ex)Fx, and
_these_ are not algorithmic; we need an interpretation which is _never_
foolproof -- consider R. B. Jones on the interpretation of Aristotle's
syllogistic and Grice's izzing and hazzing in his pdf. online).

So an 'algorithm' is foolproof. It's a decision procedure. A Turing machine
 won't fail it. It's all about the 1 and 0 combos.

But R. Carston is right that to ask for a foolproof decision procedure in
_other_ areas is not just optimistic but 'foolish' per se.

The occurrence of the 'foolosopher' you should blame to the OED device that
 enables (as I was working on fool-proof) to check other related entries --
and  there shone the 'foolosopher' so couldn't resist.
"It cannot be claimed that we have yet  found a foolproof
criterion that can be  applied satisfactorily across all cases"
       (Carston 2009:54)
Cfr.

1940 Mind XLIX. 249 He thinks of the subject [sc. the calculus] not merely
as an algorithmic method.

1960 E. DELAVENAY Introd. Machine Transl. 129 Algorithm or algorism.., used
 by computer programmers to designate the numerical or algebraic notations
which  express a given sequence of computer operations, define a programme
or routine  conceived to solve a given type of problem.

The ENTSCHEIDUNGSPROBLEM; decision procedure Math. and Logic, an effective
formal routine or mechanical method for deciding whether any selected
formula of  a given system, or a given class of formulas, is true or derivable
within the  system to which it belongs.
[1922 Mathematische Annalen LXXXVI. 163 (title) Beiträge zur Algebra der
Logik, insbesondere zum Entscheidungsproblem.]

1930 Proc. London Math. Soc. XXX. 271 The Entscheidungsproblem is to find a
 procedure for determining whether any given formula is valid, or,
alternatively,  whether any given formula is consistent.

1938 Mind XLVII. 445 Gödel's example belongs to the field of investigations
 of the Entscheidungsproblem. This problem is to discover whether the
accepted  primitive propositions and rules of inference of mathematical logic
allow us to  conclude either the truth or the falsehood of every PROPOSITIONAL
formula, and  if so to give a general method by which this can be done.

         -- my emphasis (J. L. S).  This does _not_ apply to 'quantified',
first-order predicate calculus with  identity -- that forms the base of G.
Myro's "System G", and which I have  elsewhere re-labelled "System G-hp" -- a
highly powerful version of System G".

1958 M. DAVIS Computability & Unsolvability viii. 134 Hilbert declared
that the decision problem..(often referred to simply as the
Entscheidungsproblem) was the central problem of mathematical logic.
1958 FRAENKEL & BAR-HILLEL Found. Set Theory v. 297 A formalized  theory T
is decidable if there exists an effective, uniform methoda so-called
decision methodof determining whether a given sentence, formulated in the
vocabulary of T, is valid in T.

1939 Jrnl. Symbolic Logic IV. 1 (heading)
On the reduction of the *decision problem.

1954 I. M. COPI Symbolic Logic vii. 235 The decision problem for any
deductive system is the problem of stating an effective criterion for deciding
whether or not any statement or well-formed formula is a theorem of the
system.
1945 W. V. QUINE in Jrnl. Symbolic Logic X. 3 No *decision procedure is
possible for the validity of polyadic schemata.

1950  Methods of Logic (1952) §15. 82
A ‘decision procedure’i.e., a mechanical routine for deciding validity,
implication, consistency, etc.

         -- 'mechanical', and Grice  LOVED Quine, is a good syn. for
'foolproof'.

1957 Technology July 182/2 Any game of a finite kind which can be completed
 in a finite number of movesand this includes simple games like noughts and
 crosses as well as draughts and chessmust have a decision procedure, even
though  we may not know for any particular game what this procedure is.

       -- this reminds me of Mrs. Grice. She  confided to S. R. Chapman,
"Quine had said, 'logic is a game'. The relentless  literalists that my
husband and Austin were, said, "Let's play it". They spent  the next two semester
doing noughts and crosses on pieces of paper".

When I explain the 'rational reconstruction' (in 17 steps) for 'and' (to
implicate "and then") in my PhD to the non-philosopher I _know_ he is
treating  me as a foolosopher only not saying. And note that working-out schemata
are not  even foolproof -- since they are abductive.

Now that I have discovered the disimplicature, I now longer care: I used to
 think that I had to find a rational reconstruction, foolproof criterion
for  _everything_, but if the Governor of South Carolina cannot find a
foolproof  criterion for why he loves an Argentine, why should I? Leave it to the
Disimplicature!

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
   The Grice Circle