RT list: WOW!

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Fri Jul 03 2009 - 13:04:36 BST

I loved the Spanish scholar's analysis of T. Wharton's 'interjectional'
analysis in the current issue of the International Review of Pragmatics. It's
amazing how many of the intersections are so _cultural_. I for one, would
_never_ use "WOW" but only to mean, on occasion, the acronym for Grice's
epoch-making posthumous publication.

"Way of Words", I held elsewhere, is possibly Lockean (Bk. III of Essay is
prefaced with a reference to the "Way of Words". And then there's Monica's
"Clintonian way of words" (seminar teaching) that L. Horn reminds us of in
(2009).

I'm pleased the Spanish scholar mentions 'onomatopeya' in the reference.
For surely some of the interjections _are_ onomatopoeietic. WOW isn't,
though. This may relate to the iconic element, and the bow-wow versus the
ouch-ouch and where Grice fits in -- in that 'evolutionary story' that D. Sperber
likes to tell about how we ended up with the High-Way Code! -- and that R.
Carston delightfully refers to in a footnote to her essay in (2009).

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585087x1201462804/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=