RT list: Coloratura / Implicatura

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Sat Jul 19 2008 - 00:04:26 BST

Have you noticed that some authors will _not_ use 'implicature' unless
within scare quotes! I know _one_! Their reasoning being that the word has no
distinguished pedigree _yet_! These are the authors who would use 'implication'
instead! In any case, as I have remarked elsewhere, 'implicatura'
('inplicatura', _sic_, indeed) _is_ recognised by Short/Lewis, Latin Dictionary, albeit,
granted, in declensional form, 'implicaturis', and as used by a post- (_very_
*post*) 'classical' author: Suetonius -- Loeb Classical Library, Letters,
vol. 2.

On the other hand, the most amateurish of opera critics will speak of Callas
and her vibrato and her coloratura. In the conference at San Marino that D.
S. M. Deirdre advertised on this forum -- proceedings now available! -- the
Irish-born philosopher (now of Princeton), S. Neale, spoke of _farbung_ (i.e.
'coloratura') as it applied, not to _Callas_ but to _but_. Yes, that tricky --
 yet ubiquous if hardly translatable -- particle. The interesting bit is that
 Neale addressed the use of _but_ in Frege! (Thus German). Frege noted that
the distinction between 'and' and 'but' was a matter of _coloratura_, as it
were.

I was reading Russell (Bertrand, not Jane) the other day, and there is this
_beautiful_ passage where he refers to the _classical_ beauty, not of Greek
sculpture, but of _logic_! He _thought_, along with that _other_ classicist, A.
 N. Whitehead, that _P. M._ represented the 'forms' of 'beautiful' thought to
 *care* to preserve. I cannot think of Grice _not_ abiding by that beautiful
reflection. Indeed, even good ol' Strawson (may his blessed soul rest in
peace) would grant (in "If and )") that while not _true_, one would *have* to
admit that Grice's theory proves to be _more_ beautiful!

Cheers,

J. L.
The Swimming-Pool Library
Villa Speranza, Bordighera