Re: RT list: Defending the Explicature

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Sat May 03 2008 - 18:27:00 BST

Andre Sytnyk compares 'lesbian' +> "related [as per Category of "Relation",
Grice] to Lesbos" with:

My family isn't very large. We are 5: my mother, my father, myself, grandpa
and grandma. We live on a farm. I have a pet. It's a p*ssy. [My grandpa keeps
poultry.] Sometimes my grandpa's c*ck scares my p*ssy...

----

Well, but I would proceed case by case. I seem to agree that we have here a
case of what the OED calls 'fig.', i.e. figurative uses. On the other hand
there's Kilgariff, who wrote, "I don't believe in word senses". I like the idea
of 'fig.' since Grice (WOW, 33) refers to 'figure' (Gr. 'skhema') -- he
actually  uses 'figure of speech' ('skhema lexeos') but the criterion by which the
classic  authors distinguished these from other types of 'figures' is fuzzy at
best. In  any case, Grice does have 'metaphora' as one of them, and for
'cock' (rooster)  perhaps we may need to add synecdoche and metonymia.

In a  way it compares to what I have elsewhere have called "Chomsky's female
dogs",  since in the case of 'lesbian', the predicate with me 'gynotropic' and
 'arriantropic' (male-oriented) etc.  Harnish reports Chomsky's  problem with
predicate extension, though. Consider 'bitch'.  For Chomsky, the semantic
structure is  +CANIS -MALE. For Chomsky,  'female' is '- male', since all
features are binary (in MIT). Now, Harnish, who  also studied in MIT, found out that
the principle violets Grice (He wrote  'violates', but I prefer the other
spelling). Harnish considers Grice's  example:

"Speranza is meeting a woman this evening." implicates "the woman is not  his
sister, mother, wife, or close platonic friend" (Grice WOW). Harnish notes:
"But does  "Speranza is meeting an adult human female this evening." carry
the _same_ implicature? It seems not, and this creates the following difficulty,
 emphasised by Chomsky in conversation. Grice wants to say that any _way_ or
_manner_ of saying the same thing i slikely to have the same generalized
implicature. So if the above does not (in all likelihood) have the requisite
implicature it should not count as another way or manner of saying (the same
thing as) the original." "And this would be the case if either: (a) these two
expressions ['bitch' = 'female dog'] did not count as 'saying the same thing'
when uttered in the appropriate context [And Geary allows for context
sensitivity], or  (b) these were not different 'ways' or 'manners' of  saying the same
thing. There is reason to deny both (i) and (ii). First, recall  that 'what
is said' was in part a function of (or at least 'closely related to')  the
conventional meaning of the words uttered (WOW, p.30), and presumably the  two
expressions in question are paraphrases. So, other things being equal, one  would
expect the same thing to have been said. Second, under the maxim of  Manner,
relating _how_ what is said is to be said) we find, 'be brief'. [And  clearly
'bitch' is briefer than 'female dog']. So clearly we could generate an
implicature off of the exapnded paraphrase. For instance, A says,

"I'm going to meet J. L. (Austin)". B says, 'Is J. L. (Austin) a  man or a
woman?' A says,  "Well, J. L.' (Austin) s an adult human male." "I  would think
that A implied something like the opinion that s/he did not view J.  L. Austin
as particularly sexually attractive or desirable in a feminine  ('womanish')
way, and he did this by conspicuously picking the verbose  equivalent thereby
(conspicuously) avoiding the lexeme 'man' and so disavowing  some of its usual
suggestions in these contexts." "That it has these suggestions  cannot be
doubted in view of pairs like, "He is a really (good, etc.) man' vs.  'He is a
real (good, etc.) adult human male'."

One problem with comparing 'lesbian' with 'you're the cream in my coffee'
though, is that Grice notes the abductive step includes the categorial
impossibility of the addressee really being _cream_. With 'lesbian', however,  the
context will, we hope, exclude as categorially _improbable_ but never
_impossible_ that the addressee is 'related' to the Isle of Lesbos. I would  have to
work with rooster and pussy with more detail to get familiar with  idiosyncratic
explicatures, though.

J. L.
favorites at AOL Food.