RT list: Grecian Irrelevancies in Gricean Key

From: <jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Sun Mar 16 2008 - 00:35:42 GMT

 The Cancellability of the Explicature

--
Alessandro,
How can you say you welcome 'constructive' criticism, yet go on to say, with a straight face, I hope, that the list-owner's idea of an explicature (an offlister from NewCastle reports) *just fails*!?
Anyway, I am writing, "Spitzeriad: A Trilogy" and cannot comment right now. It's about the connection between Bakkhai and Eliot Spitzer's New York affair. This got me into re-reading my Euripides and found this delightful quote:
The editor is criticising Euripides's technicalities with the proper use of the "Chorus" and writes:
"Sometimes [the Chorus's comments] connection with the body of the play is tenuous and force. In the _Electra_, for example, an elaborate description of the arms of Akhilleus is justified on the ground that
??? *it is wicked* to murder
???? a general [Agamemnon] who had a so a soldier
???? so handsomely equipped in his army."
(xiv, Ten Plays by Euripides -- intro and ed. by M. Hadas.
--- It does remind me of Hobbes's _Leviathan_ and _Computatio_ where he discusses a LOONG explicature commenting the Death of Julius Caesar and Oliver Cromwell. For Hobbes, *everything* is _relevant_ (i.e. related, as per Aristotle's fourth category) *if you try* (hard?)
Cheers,
JL
JL Speranza, Esq.
The Grice Club, etc.
St. Michael & St George Hall,
Calle 58, No. 611
La Plata B1900BPY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
jlsperanza at aol.com
------
who volunteers criticism of the constructive
type, I will share with her/him my paper entitled
 Are explicatures cancellable?
Professor Burton-Roberts has commented on this paper for the second time
and I have incorporated his comments and responded to them.
Also if anyone has seen a good paper on the notion of semantic entailment,
please let me know.
According to Burton-Roberts Carston's definition of explicatures just
fails (Burton-Roberts's comments on my paper not expressed in other papers
seem really convincing).
I am inclined to still preserve that definiton - albeit I wonder what the
consequences for the overal theory are.

If there is someone who would like to give a bit of practical help with
language revision but also who volunteers criticism of the constructive
type, I will share with her/him my paper entitled
 Are explicatures cancellable?
Professor Burton-Roberts has commented on this paper for the second time
and I have incorporated his comments and responded to them.
Also if anyone has seen a good paper on the notion of semantic entailment,
please let me know.
According to Burton-Roberts Carston's definition of explicatures just
fails (Burton-Roberts's comments on my paper not expressed in other papers
seem really convincing).
I am inclined to still preserve that definiton - albeit I wonder what the
consequences for the overal theory are.
Well, we shall see.
Alessandro