RT list: New to this list

From: Vercauteren, Gert <G.Vercauteren@ha.be>
Date: Sun Jul 01 2007 - 19:57:59 BST

Hello everybody,

I just registered to the RT list and wanted to introduce myself briefly.
My name is Gert Vercauteren and I'm currently preparing a PhD on (recorded) audio description, i.e. the description of visual (and aural) information in movies and other recorded audiovisual products for blind and partially sighted audiences. More in particular I'm looking at the process of content selection in audio description: what visual clues do describers select (and what elements do they omit) and how do they describe them. Im currently at the very beginning of the project so there's no real exciting news or challenging issues yet, but I have two basic questions:

a) As I'm concentrating on visual communication, I was wondering whether there is any material available regarding the application of RT to non-verbal communication, specifically on RT and 'artificial' (as opposed to spontaneous I suppose), 'constructed' visual material like movies?
b) As I'm also new to RT (I have read the basics, but I want and will have to delve much deeper into the matter), I was wondering whether the on line course in RT is still available (or will be organised again in the near future)?

Well, that's it for the moment. I suppose that with the advances in my research, the questions will also be coming and I will definitely be back. I'm really looking forward to meeting and reading al of you on the list!

Kind regards,

Gert