RT list: de dicto / de re distinction?

From: Robin Setton <robinsetton@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 05:06:48 GMT

Dear All

This was my reaction to Ernst-August's example, for what it's worth (I sent
it to the wrong address). Although I am not among those 'more
knowledgeable', I was hoping to see an exchange on the open list, since I
couldn't see the need to invoke a de dicto/de re distinction here. Hope it's
not too late to be enlightened by someone, publicly or privately.

The utterance cited by Ernst-August doesn't seem to be significantly more or
less ambiguous than any other, but simply to license some possible
additional implicatures.
1. Basic explicature : Susan sought to convey to Jack, using language, the
information that she (Susan) had derived from (an) utterance(s) previously
addressed to her by Brigitte.
Optional additional implicatures (weak, as the example stands):
2. She did (or didn't) do this by the method of direct quotation
3. (even weaker) she also told Jack THAT it was Brigitte who told her

Best regards,

Robin

Robin Setton
Prof. of Interpretation
ETI, University of Geneva (Staff)
GIIT, Shanghai International Studies University (Visiting)