Re: RT list: Cognitive effects and processing effort

From: Stavros Assimakopoulos <stavros@ling.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon Oct 16 2006 - 17:18:50 BST

Dear all,

This is indeed a huge subject and one I cannot commit to solving in my
thesis altogether. I just want to clarify a couple of points here. My
earlier response did not have so much to do with quantifying effort and
effect as such, but rather with how RT should be able to create
interesting hyporheses about language production; and I think that the
way to address this is by going back to the idea of maximal relevance
and addressing production on its basis as Sperber and Wilson did for
interpretation. So far as I understand Jan's response, I have one
objection.

"one might still want to say that competent speaking and hearing
presupposes some naive reflection on relevance over and above regular
ground-level maximising"

Again, I am not sure I got the point here right, but my understanding
of relevance is that it is not a result of reflection. It is an
automatic process, a generalisation about the way in which human
cognition (a tendency towards maximal relevance) and ostensive
communication (an incremental search for satisfactory cognitive effects
for no unnecessary effort - optimal relevance) work. It is in this
sense, that RT provides a useful account of processing input, premises
and conclusions, without suggesting that we think about what is
"relevant" or not. So, what I suggested was that it should provide
interesting insights on the intrinsic ways in which we select contexts
and interpretation hypotheses. It is not in itself a naive conception
available to the hearer/speaker, but, for me, a way to account for how
naive mental devices (if you want to follow the modularity thesis)
successfully feed the inferential device(s) without spending more
effort than necessary (in some sense resolving to some extent the Frame
Problem - but see the exchange between Chiappe & Kukla and Sperber &
Wilson in Behavioral and Brain Sciences 1996).

Apart from that, I am pretty convinced that the original conception of
effort and effect is on the right track (as Sperber noted). There is no
need to measure them in absolute numerical ways and no known way to do
so as of yet. That is why for the time being it is safe to assume that
they exist and that the mind assesses them on its own. And the basic
problem I find with attempts to measure them, is one that has been
evident in the argumentation of Sperber & Wilson, and which I
understand as a difference in the situation someone is in during
processing: The more you carry a heavy suitcase the heavier it feels,
so when one is tired or stressed or deep in thinking about losing a
loved one, you should get different measurements of his effort and
effects, even if you find a way to quantify them. And again,
quantifying them can only be pursued indirectly (neurological
activation patterns being a very good starting point as Sperber said)...

However, the basic thing here is that 'expectations of relevance' are
not not conscious means to get to the interpretation of an utterance,
but rather the cognitive motivation behind processing, a cognitive
motivation that is not mentally available, but a useful criterion for
science to address how the mind works. In this sense, no one is
expected to be a relevance theorist (as Bach argues) in order to
communicate, BUT relevance theorists can address through the use of
their generalisations how everyone communicates.

I am sensing that this has started to get out of proportion for the
purposes of the relevance list, so I am happy (and more than willing)
to discuss things in private e-mail if needed any further. After all, I
can only hope I have gotten the relevance-theoretic argument correctly,
so here should be the place for more hardcore relevance theorists to
deal with these issues for now.

Best wishes,

Stavros

--