RT list: 'so that' and 'so'

From: Goh Lan Fun <gohlanfun@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 14:56:31 BST

Hi everybody,

      I am currently analysing the differenc between 'so' and 'so that' in terms of the procedural process that they have.

     Based on the classification of discourse connectives given by Blakemore, the discourse connective 'so' introduces contextual implications.

      I would like to know does 'so that' also introduce contextual implications or it has other contextual effects? At first glance, I think 'so that' has contextual effect of strengthening. But after reading for a few times, I think 'so that' introduces contextual implications.

  eg. These students must be given the required help and support so that they can realise their full potential.

  Is the second proposition 'they can realise their full potential' the contextual implication deduced from the first proposition 'these students must be given the required help and support'?

  Hope to receive your reply as soon as possible.

  Thank you.

  Warmest regards,
  Lan Fun