RT list: Semiotic code model

From: Deirdre Wilson (deirdre@linguistics.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 14:59:17 GMT

    Dear Stefan,

    The issue is not whether SOME communication is achieved by coding, but
    whether ALL is.
    In RELEVANCE, Dan and I argue that communication can be achieved in two
    distinct
    ways: by coding/decoding, and by ostension/inference. While the code model
    is adequate to account for much animal communication, it is grossly
    inadequate to account
    for much human communication, and verbal communication in particular.
    Although human
    natural languages are codes, there is a substantial gap between the encoded
    meaning of
    a sentence and the meaning a speaker may convey by uttering that sentence
    on a particular
    occasion. We claim that this gap between sentence meaning and speaker's
    meaning cannot
    be bridged by a further layer of coding, but must be bridged by inference.
    So verbal
    communication can be analysed as involving BOTH coding AND inference.

    All the best,
    Deirdre

    >Dear all,
    >
    >I am unclear as to how important the traditional semiotic code model of
    >communication is to RT. Dan Sperber and Deidre Wilson seem to both reject
    >it and then apparently integrate it into their RT model of communication.
    >Does anyone have views on the matter?
    >
    >Best wishes to all
    >
    >Stefan
    >

    >Stefan Malmberg