RT list: Online course in Pragmatic Theory

From: Deirdre Wilson (deirdre@linguistics.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 15:00:47 GMT

    Dear all,

    As some of you may know, the Pragmatics group at University
    College London has been developing a postgraduate Online Course in
    Pragmatic Theory, which was run for the first time last year. I'm happy
    to announce that we will be running it again from November 2005
    to March 2006.

    The course consists of 10 written lectures (1 lecture every 2 weeks),
    plus self-test questions, plus questions for online discussion.
    It is self-contained, with links to online reading, and is intended to
    be of interest both to relative beginners and to people quite familiar
    with the theory. For further details, see the course home page, on
    >http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/courses/dl/prag/announce05.html
    Preliminary questions and inquiries should be sent to Stefanie Anyadi
    <stefanie@ling.ucl.ac.uk>

    Here are a few comments from students who took the course
    last year:

    Helpfulness of instructors
    Very helpful, very friendly. I think the atmosphere has been
    very nice and warm and that is a lot due to the instructors.
    As I am involved in online teaching (in Chinese) as well,
    and very interested in Educational Technology, I have
    learned a lot about net pedagogy and it gave me some
    ideas on how to develop our courses. You’ve done a great job!

    I think all instructors were really helpful. They took part in the
    discussion every time it was needed but let the students talk
    among themselves first, which is good.

    Excellent. They’ve been there for us ALL THE TIME.

    I was really surprised that everybody was so available and
    supportive. I actually have the feeling that my ‘virtual’ instructors
    were more helpful than some of my ‘real’ teachers at university!

    Overall assessment. Would you recommend this course to others?
    I have only good things to say about this course; it is really
    hard for me to find anything that I wasn’t satisfied about. It
    definitely exceeded my expectations. I only wish there was
    an ‘advanced’ course as well that I could take!

    Yes, definitely. I really feel that I learned a lot and that this
    course will help me improve my research in the future.

    I have already!! This was a great experience for me and
    I hope that it will be reiterated for others to benefit from the
    opportunity. I am actually quite distraught now that the course
    is over… What am I going to do for the rest of the summer?
    It was really exciting to ‘meet’ people sharing common scientific
    interests. I do hope that we will actually meet in the near future.

    I have greatly benefited from this course. It has opened up new
    research areas and possibilities of the applicability of the model
    or me. I would not hesitate to recommend it. In fact, I have already
    done so.

    With very best wishes for a happy and productive summer,
    Deirdre

    -----------------------------
    Deirdre Wilson
    Professor of Linguistics