RT list: Hi All

From: M'i.Hussein@newcastle.ac.uk
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 10:26:55 GMT

    Hi all,

    My name is Miri Hussein. I am a PhD student at Newcastle University. I
    will be working on “discourse connectives” in both English and my native
    language Syrian Arabic. RT will be of paramount importance to my study
    since I am seeking a relevance-theoretic approach to the investigation of
    discourse connectives in Syrian Arabic. I will follow Blakemore’s (1987)
    proposal of "procedural meanings" in which she argues that certain
    linguistic expressions, such as ‘so’, ‘therefore’, ‘but’, etc. do not
    affect the truth conditions of utterances in which they occur, but
    constrain the inferential phase of the utterance interpretation. Such
    connectives, as Blakemore points out, work as procedures that guide the
    hearer/reader in his/her search for the interpretation which is consistent
    with the principle of relevance; the interpretation that carries the great
    contextual effects with the minimum processing effort. I will try to see
    how that would work with the similar linguistic expressions in Syrian
    Arabic and discuss whether RT and Blakemore’s proposal are tenable in
    Syrian Arabic.

    Best Wishes,

    Miri