RT list: History of ideas - RT and translation theories

From: Robin Setton (Robin.Setton@eti.unige.ch)
Date: Thu Nov 25 2004 - 19:53:56 GMT

    RT and the ESIT 'théorie du sens'

    As an ESIT graduate and relevantist, I'm gratified that someone else has
    noticed the similarity
    between these two theories. In spirit and ontogeny they certainly have in
    common a dissatisfaction/frustration with code-based approaches to
    communication. They are not really
    comparable in terms of scope and development, of course. Although
    Seleskovitch believed translation and especially interpreting offered a
    unique window on linguistic communication, the ESIT theory was never
    developed into a fully worked out theory of communication and cognition ;
    its founders were not distinguished trained semanticists and
    anthroplogists, but passionate practitioners of multilingual communicators
    determined to have the specificities of T & I recognised by academe, and to
    demonstrate (as they have done) that only a pragmatic approach, free of the
    distraction of linguistics, can succeed in training interpreters and
    translators. Cross-fertilisation with RT is unlikely; the ESIT theorists
    have always claimed 'ab ovo' status and acknowledge no external influence,
    save for a vague tip of the cap to writers like Ducrot and Barbizet (a
    connectionist). As for influence in the other direction, linguists
    including pragmaticists have not usually heard of translation theories. But
    any evdience of mutual influence would be fascinating and welcome ! In any
    event, this has finally given me the push I needed to put some of these
    papers on F. Yus' bibliography.... :-) e.g.:

    Setton, Robin. 2002. Traductologie et théorie de la pertinence. In
    Fortunato Israël (ed.). Identité, altérité, équivalence ? La traduction
    comme relation. Actes du Colloque International tenu à l'ESIT les 24, 25 et
    26 mai 2000, en hommage à Marianne Lederer. Paris, Caen: Lettres Modernes
    Minard. Israel. 97-112.

    Seleskovitch: A Radical Pragmatist Before Her Time: Langage, langues et
    mémoire: études de la prise de notes en interprétation consécutive. Danica
    Seleskovitch. Paris: Minard Lettres Modernes, 1975. The Translator 8-1
    (2002), 117-124.

    Setton, Robin. 1999. Cognitive pragmatics in T & I research. In Lugrís,
    Alberto Álvarez & Anxo Fernández Ocampo (eds). Anovar/Anosar Estudios de
    traducción e interpretación. Universidade de Vigo, Servicio de
    Publicacións. (3 Volumes), Vol.I. 307-315. (Conference on Translation and
    Interpretation, University of Vigo, March 25-27 1998).

    Copies provided with pleasure.

    All the best,

    Robin

    At 12:30 25-11-04 -0600, you wrote:
    >Friends,
    >
    >I've been reading Amparo Hurtado Albir's _Traducción y
    >Traductología: Introducción a la Traductología_ (Madrid:
    >Cátedra, 2001). The author discusses many translation theories,
    >among them the theory developed at the Ecole Supérieure
    >d´Interpretes et de Traducteurs (ESIT) by Seleskovitch (1968...)
    >and Lederer (1981...). As I read Hurtado´s characterizaton I
    >was struck by various similarities between the ESIT theory of
    >comprehension and Relevance Theory.
    >
    >My guess is that, late in the evolution of the ESIT theory, it
    >was influenced by RT. For example, Hurtado quotes Lederer
    >(1994:58) as follows: "Todo texto es un compromiso entre un
    >explícito suficientemente corto para no cansar al enunciar cosas
    >ya sabidas y un implícito suficientemente evidente para que el
    >lector no pueda ignorar el sentido designado por lo explícito."
    >[Rough translation: All text is a compromise between what is
    >explicit, which must be sufficiently short so as to not tire by
    >stating known information, and what is implicit, which must be
    >sufficiently evident so the reader will not fail to grasp the
    >meaning indicated by what is explicit.] I think this comes
    >pretty close to saying that text must be relevant.
    >
    >But was there earlier sharing in the other direction? That is,
    >what intellectual debt --if any-- does RT owe to earlier stages
    >of the evolving ESIT theory, especially to Seleskovitch's early
    >work? Or did the ESIT theory and RT develop independently,
    >similarities being due to the common cognitive soil in which
    >they were rooted?
    >
    >Just curious, --David

    Robin Setton
    Director,
    Graduate Institute of Translation and Interpretation Studies
    (GITIS)
    Fujen Catholic University
    Hsinchuang
    Taipei, Taiwan