RT list: RT and EFL

From: Andre Sytnyk (danagro@kp.km.ua)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 14:52:18 GMT

    Dear all,

    Reading V.Zegarac and B.Clark "Phatic intepretations and phatic
    communication" I have found an interesting place, which could
    pertain to foreign language instruction. The authors write that
    "Sperber and Wilson do not propose that to inform somebody of
    something is to cause that person to entertain specific thoughts" and
    quote S&W in saying that the informative intention is "an intention to
    modify directly not the thoughts but the cognitive environment of the
    audience" (p.325)

    In relation to his, would it be possible to say that to teach somebody
    a foreign language means to teach that person mastery of drawing
    correct inferences by modifying the cognitive environment of the
    learner.

    It has occurred to me that all EFL textbooks are code-model based
    (grammar rules, behaviorist exercises etc.) and then when you show
    your University-level EFL students an episode of "Friends" or Jay
    Leno's show, they understand the code, but that's all the understand - most of the
    inferences they draw about the intended meaning are false (hence their
    conclusion that American humor is "different" (to use a euphemism).
    Thus, my students were at a total loss regarding the reaction of the
    studio audience of David Letterman's to such episodes as "Would you
    like to touch the meat?" or "Will it float?" (perfect instances of
    purely phatic communication in Malinowski's sense, btw) :)

    I was wondering if anybody has written anything about the possibility
    of developing an RT-based EFL curriculum (especially adult
    student-oriented)?

    All the best,
    Andre