Re[2]: RT list: A newcomer's inquiry

From: Andre Sytnyk (danagro@kp.km.ua)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 09:19:28 GMT

    I think that in case (c) you will invest more processing effort, not
    less. Being a Cautious Optimist (see Deirdre Wilson METAREPRESENTATION
    IN LINGUISTIC COMMUNICATION) and knowing that the addresser is not trustworthy,
    you are likely to metarepresent his utterance as:

    1. He is lying that "The Melvin Hall dormitory is on fire".
    2. It is possible that "The Melvin Hall dormitory is on fire", even though
    the addresser is known to have lied on previous occasions.
    3. He is telling the truth that "The Melvin Hall dormitory is on fire".
    etc.

    while in cases (a) and (b) the available cognitive context: "bosses
    are to be trusted :) in case (a) and paralinguistic factors in case (b)
    will enable you to achieve optimal relevance with less cognitive effort:
    "The Melvin Hall is on fire" indeed.

    For it is written:
    "Follow a path of least effort in computing cognitive effects,
    consider interpretations in order of accessibility,
    stop when your expectation of relevance is satisfied"
    (and yes, I am that parochial) :)

    All the best,
    Andre