Re: RT list: Re: Koans and 'Irrelevance Theory'

From: Andre Sytnyk (danagro@kp.km.ua)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 16:57:37 GMT

    Dear Dr. Setton,

    In this case, what kind of weak implicatures is the disciple supposed
    to derive from the "non-verbal version" of koans:

    Hypothetical dialogue (2)

    Master: So, what is the nature of Buddha?
    Disciple: I eat rice everyday.
    Master: (hits the disciple with his staff (recurrently, until the
    disciple sits down humbly at his feet in SILENCE)

    I'm not sure whether the author of Alice in Wonderland meant "taking responsibility
    for your judgements and interpretations of the world", although it
    does echo the title of one of the chapters from the "Journey to Ixtlan"
    by Carlos Castaneda (is it an irony? - just an RT comment :)

    Don't all those examples, along with Tao Teh Ching etc., serve as a
    vehicle (the finger, pointing to the moon), rather than some
    philosophical or (I'm sure, Chuan Tzu would especially enjoy this one
    in view of his attitude to Confucius) "ethical principles" of conduct
    and the way of thinking correctly...there IS no correct way of thinking, if
    I'm not mistaken, according to, say, Tao folks...it's all about
    transcending...

    Also, what about Salinger's "ducks in Central Park"?

    Best,
    Andre

    --
    Best regards,