RT list: yet and still

From: Jlsperanza@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 15:10:11 GMT

    From the online LINGUIST List (Vol-14-3498. Dec 18 2003)

    --- begin forwarded matter

    From: Raphael Salkie <r.m.salkie@bton.ac.uk>
    Subject: The discourse marker YET in English

    I am looking for published studies of the discourse marker YET in
    English. Also, any studies on the word STILL, which, like YET, seems
    to have a basic temporal meaning which underlies its use as a
    discourse marker.

    --- end forwarded matter

    For 'yet', I've found a reference to a lecture at:

    http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/9/9-944.html

    Diane Blakemore, 'Procedural meaning: 'nevertheless', 'yet' and 'but'
    (again)'. (But being in Bolton you would know that. :-)).

    Truth-conditionally, 'yet' can be pretty vacuous:

         (1) It's raining.
         (2) Yet, it's raining.

    cannot vary in Davidsonian truth-conditions. 'Still' looks pretty much just
    as vacuous (truth-conditionally speaking):

         (3) It's raining
         (4) Still, it's raining.

    cannot vary in truth-conditions, either. Incidentally, I found a rather
    interesting and bold (anti-Gricean) claim at

    www.hyperdic.net/dic/s/still.shtml

         "the word "still" has 17 different
         senses".

    -- no more, no less. So much for Grice's modified Occam's razor ("do not
    multiply senses beyond necessity").

    Good luck in your research, and keep us posted. Cheers,
    JL