Re: RT list: metadiscourse enquiry

From: Jlsperanza@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 16:21:47 GMT

    Elly Ifantidou writes:
    Dear all,
    Could you please suggest any relevance-theoretic work on metadiscourse? I
    would be grateful if I could have the details of any such references ...
    Thank you.
    Well, not really RT, but found this summary of Galasinski's book on
    _Deception_ -- which has a chapter on 'metadiscursive deception', as opposed to
    common-or-garden _discursive_ deception, that is. Galasinski finds illustrations for
    this tricky phenomenon in his corpus of current political speech in UK.

    Cheers,

    JL

    ----

    http://www.sirreadalot.org/society/society/culturestudiesR.htm

    In The Language of Deception [: A Discourse- Analytic Study], Dariusz Galasinski develops arguments that expand the ... field of deception research by including 'Metadiscursive ... Deception' [chapter IV] The author defines the study as "methodologically eclectic" drawing primarily on Gricean pragmatics.