RT and other theories - follow up

From: Steve-Alison Nicolle (steve-alison_nicolle@sil.org)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 01:04:01 GMT

         Thankyou to everyone who responded to my questions about RT and other
         theories, both on-list and off-list. I'm humbled by the way in which
         my naive questions generated such gracious and enlightening responses.
         I was also struck by the wide variety of positions taken by people who
         align themselves in some way or other with RT. I had two primary
         motivations in asking about RT and other theories. The first was to
         generate some discussion on a topic that I think is interesting. The
         second was to get some advice on where I should be directing my
         researches when I finally get a chance to use a library again after 18
         months at the Kenyan coast.

         First of all, congratulations to my former colleague Billy Clark for
         pointing out that Mental Models Theory correlates with Johnson-Laird
         and not with Fodor (of Modularity of Mind fame - a confusion of 'M's
         on my part). It was of course Johnson-Laird's theory which I
         m-intended (and which features in a paper I intend posting on the
         Cogprints website as soon as I return to the world of easy internet
         access - thankyou Dan).

         Andrea Rocci noted that on the one hand RT has stressed the importance
         of inferential processes in meaning determination (pragmatics) at the
         expense of linguistically encoded meaning (semantics), for example in
         the case of enrichment; but on the other hand, the notion of
         linguistically encoded procedural information functioning in
         'non-peripheral' areas of 'grammar' (tense and aspect, pronominal
         systems) reinforces the role of semantics as a constraining factor on
         pragmatics. However, I do not see why this leads Andrea to feel that,
         "the idea that a purely internal computational/representation system
         should contain such units strikes me as utterly weird." So long as the
         process of meaning determination is kept out of the picture, an
         autonomous syntax dealing with configurational issues concerning
         linguistic forms is still feasible. That said, maybe Andrea is correct
         in prophecying a functionalist oriented future for RT.

         In a similar vein, Christoph Unger stated that, "RT requires an
         adequate syntactic theory to be one that doesn't try to put "pragmatic
         functions" into the syntax." I agree, but I also think there are very
         few syntactic theories where this would be disputed. Differences over
         the division of labour between pragmatics and SEMANTICS may lead to
         certain SYNTACTIC theories being misconstrued as allowing pragmatic
         contamination where there is none.

         Interstingly, two of my SIL colleagues, in off-list communication
         (hence anonymity), presented very different views of RT vis-a-vis
         functionalist vs autonomous syntax. One colleague asked me to explain
         why I stated that, "Cognitive Grammar is obviously at odds with RT
         over the scope of grammar, as are various other functional
         approaches." This colleague continued, "When I teach courses in
         linguistic theory I usually start by sketching a continuum between
         "Autonomous theories of language" at one extreme, and "Inclusive
         theories of communication" at the other. Both CG and RT fall close to
         the latter extreme of the continuum (with CG even more extreme than
         RT)." Well, I'm booked to attend a course on CG in July, and I promise
         to keep an open mind. If I realise that I have been mistaken about CG
         I will gladly put the record straight, but if not I will try to sketch
         as precisely as I can the points of difference between RT and CG.

         Another SIL colleague sang the praises of Minimalism. He finds it
         extremely useful for practical descriptive analysis prior to getting
         into discourse and pragmatics. On my limited experience of MP I found
         this pretty incredible, but I respect him enough to believe that it is
         so. He also added, "The idea that different languages differ basically
         in parameter settings has given rise to a "new comparative syntax" with
         a substantial literature." Comparative linguistics is a passion of
         mine, so this gave me some encouragement. I'd like to know what this
         substantial literature consists of.

         Returning to the functionalist/autonomous divide, a robust challenge
         to autonomous syntax from a RT perspective is provided by Marjolein
         Groefsema's early work. (I hope Marjolein does not mind me ascribing
         early and, by implication, late periods to her work, a la
         Wittgenstein, so long before retirement age!) Thankyou to Begoqa
         Vicente for reminding me of this. The on-line anticipatory hypotheses
         that hearers use make autonomous syntax pretty well redundant. I was
         very impressed with Marjolein's work in this area, and adopted much of
         it in some of my own work in the late 90's. (It had many similarities
         with the work of Hauner, of which I have heard very little of late.) I
         don't know whether Marjolein has continued to develop this approach,
         although I am aware that it was not 'mainstream RT' in the 90's.

         Maybe, as Anne Bezuidenhout and J.L. Speranza suggested, Dynamic
         Syntax is the theory to look out for. From the little I know, I
         suspect it may be the kind of programme which Marjolein Groefsema
         envisaged as an alternative to autonomous syntax. I hope that Ruth
         Kempson and her colleagues will keep us all posted on the latest
         developments, such as when the new book appears on the web. (By the
         way, I'm familiar with some of Lutz Marten's work on Swahili, so I
         trust that his input, and that of others at SOAS, will help to avoid
         the Indo-European bias of most syntactic theories.)

         Turning briefly to neo-Gricean pragmatics, Christoph Unger wrote:
         "Again, I am not sure what you mean: in which way do think are the Q-,
         I-, and M-principles more specific than the RT comprehension procedure
         (which - I suppose - is what you compare the neo-Gricean principles
         to)? There is one sense of course in which they are undoubtedly more
         "specific": they are concerned only with Generalized Conversational
         Implicatures in Levinson's (2000: Presumptive Meanings. MIT Press.)
         sense. But is this "specificity" desirable? Not in my opinion."

         I agree, and have said that a theory that does away with generalized
         conversational implicatures (i.e. one that allows pragmatic aspects of
         'what is said') has to be the way ahead. I suppose the question at
         issue is what is preferable: a falsifiable but often falsified theory
         (see articles and replies in JL and chapter 4 of Huang's "Anaphora"
         for examples), or a non-falsifiable theory (which is how RT detractors
         describe RT). In my mind the former is preferable, but the best option
         is to either demonstrate that RT is, as it stands, falsifiable, or
         develop RT (perhaps using insights from, dare I suggest, neo-Gricean
         pragmatics) so that it is, and is seen to be, falsifiable (and not too
         frequently falsified). In connection with this, I commend Andrea
         Rocci's point that RT could benefit from interaction with theories of
         discourse production as well as comprehension.

         That's enough from me.

         Steve Nicolle

         Temporary address from July-October 2002:

         c/o 46 Athelstan Road,
         harold Wood,
         Romford,
         Essex RM3 0QH,