RT and other theories

From: Steve-Alison Nicolle (steve-alison_nicolle@sil.org)
Date: Mon May 27 2002 - 00:41:38 GMT

         No theory exists in a vacuum; there will always be other theories
         dealing with similar or complementary areas of investigation. RT is no
         exception. Theories deling with (a subset of) the same areas of
         investigation as RT will either complement or contradict RT to varying
         degrees. Theories dealing with topics beyond the scope of RT will be
         either compatible or incompatible with RT, to different degrees. Some
         theories partially overlap in scope with RT; Fodor's Mental Models
         Theory is one such in my opinion. The question I have for the list
         concerns the relation between RT and theories covering (approximately)
         the same ground (pragmatic theories), and theories covering different
         topics (specifically syntax). Syntax first:

         In the past, the general assumption seems to have been that RT can
         quite easily 'plug in' to the most current model in the Chomskian
         program. This assumption was based on the following factors: 1) The
         Chomskian approach sets strict limits on the scope of syntactic
         processes, thereby fitting in neatly with the Fodorian modular
         approach which RT also adopts; 2) This program has been dominant in
         syntax for a long time thereby helping to situate RT in the linguistic
         mainstream; 3) Deirdre Wilson studied under Chomsky and as a result
         she and her students have been influenced by his approach.

         These are all perfectly valid reasons for selecting the Chomskian
         program as the syntactic foil to RT, but the situation in syntax at
         the moment seems to be a lot more fluid than it was in the mid-80s
         when this arrangement began. For a start, the Chomskian program is no
         longer the default syntactic approach in many institutions. The
         minimalist program (MP) was developed in response to perceived
         problems with GB and P&P, but this has recently come under attack. The
         following is an extract from Robert D. Levine's review of Johnson &
         Lappin (1999) Local Constraints vs. Economy, in J. Linguistics 38
         (2002) 177-179:

         "The MP emerges from Johnson & Lappin's tightly reasoned, pitilessly
         clinical examination as computationally expensive to the point of
         intractability, empirically deficient, stipulative at best and
         incoherent or inconsistent at worst in its internal architecture, with
         metaphysical and teleological foundations that run counter to the
         methodological premises undergirding the success of the hard scinces.
         [...] until and unless there is a coherent and substantive response to
         Johnson & Lappin's critique, the MP will have marginal credibility
         outside the increasingly narrow domain in which it is simply the
         unquestioned 'house framework'." (178)

         It would be a shame if RT became part of this "increasingly narrow
         domain", especially if the claim that the MP is "computationally
         expensive to the point of intractability" proves to be well-founded.
         We should also take into account the critique of GB and P&P accounts
         of the various binding constraints in Huang's "Anaphora" (but more of
         that later).

         I am not a syntactician, so I would value advice on where I should be
         looking for a plausible syntactic theory that is consistent with RT.
         Cognitive Grammar is obviously at odds with RT over the scope of
         grammar, as are various other functional approaches. LFG at one time
         looked promising, at least with respect to Bantu languages, but I have
         seen a couple of convincing accounts recently of topics in Bantu
         morpho-syntax where GB is clearly superior to LFG. OT seems to be at
         an early stage and I am unsure whether it even constitutes a coherent
         program yet. I'd be interested to know what readers of the list think
         of some other less well-known approaches such as Robert Van Valin's
         Role and reference Grammar (he has worked with Randy LaPolla, who I
         think was once a member of the RT list).

         Turning to pragmatics, the field is a lot smaller, with the main
         players being RT and the neo-Gricean approach. Although I disagree
         with much of the philosophical underpinning of the neo-Gricean
         approach and believe that it does not pay adequate attention to issues
         of cognition in language use, I have seen a few neat analyses where
         the interplay of the Q-, I-, and M-principles seems to make specific
         predictions which a RT analysis would not be able to make (as far as I
         can see). This is the kind of level of falsifiabilty that critics of
         RT have been looking for. (Briefly the Q-principle states 'Say as much
         as you know', the I-principle states 'Say as little as necessary', and
         the M-principle states, 'Whatever you say, say it clearly'.
         Implicatures generated on the basis of these principles are ranked in
         the order Q>M>I; that is a Q implicature 'defeats' an M implicature
         and so on.)

         The combined strengths and weaknesses of the neo-Gricean approach
         vis-a-vis RT are apparent in the following ecxtract from a review of
         Yan Huang's "Anaphora" which I wrote for Notes on Translation:

         "A more fundamental problem exists, I believe, with the neo-Gricean
         approach to implicature. In this framework, meaning can be broadly
         divided into `what is said' and what is implicated. Even though
         reference assignment (which is what occurs when an anaphor is linked
         to its antecedent) is clearly not a (totally) semantic and syntactic
         process, it seems counter-intuitive to say that reference assignment
         is the result of identifying an implicature, particularly when in the
         Gricean tradition, `what is said' is defined as the semantically
         determined aspects of meaning plus disambiguation and reference
         assignment. Alternative pragmatic approaches which allow pragmatic
         aspects of what is said (that is, inferentially determined meaning in
         addition to reference assignment and disambiguation which contributes
         to truth-conditions) should, in theory, be able to provide a more
         coherent account. One such theory, which Huang discusses, is relevance
         theory (Sperber and Wilson 1995). Unfortunately, I doubt whether
         relevance theory as it currently stands is capable of providing an
         empirically falsifiable account of anaphora resolution, (although
         Matsui 2000 provides a start in her account of bridging reference).
         This is a challenge that needs to be met."

         What I am wondering is whether RT researchers have avoided adopting
         and adapting relevant insights from our biggest rival simply because
         we want to be seen to be different. There is no doubt in my mind that
         RT is on more secure theoretical ground than neo-Gricean pragmatics,
         but it does lack specificity of the Q-, I-, and M-principles. These
         principles and the ranking of the implicatures they generate, as
         presented by Levinson and Huang, are simply stipulations at the
         moment. However, if it could be shown that they follow from the more
         general cognitive principles that underpin RT then there could be no
         question of RT stealing the neo-Griceans' clothes, rather the
         neo-Gricean approach could be largely subsumed within RT.

         As many of you know, I enjoy playing devil's advocate, so please treat
         this in the spirit of open enquiry in which it is intended.

         Steve Nicolle,
         P.O. Box 12,
         Kwale (via Mombasa),
         KENYA