metaphor and simile

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 17:37:48 GMT

            No like is the same; Similitude and Identity
            are different things.

                       T. Adams,
                       Exegesis of 2 Peter iii 10
                       1633. OED under 'like'.

    >To: relevance@linguistics.ucl.ac.uk
    >From: robyn carston <robyn@linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>
    >Subject: Non-member submission from [David J Weber <david_weber@sil.org>]
    >>Subject: metaphor and simile
    >>Friends,
    >>Has anyone looked into the cognitive difference
    >>between a metaphor and a simile? I just read a literary
    >>scholar's statement that a metaphor was just an
    >>abbreviated simile, abbreviated in that it lacks an
    >>explicit comparator, that otherwise the two are the
    >>same. However, my gut feeling is that they are quite
    >>different, that generally a simile invites a more
    >>superficial comparison than a metaphor, that generally
    >>a metaphor provokes a more profound search for
    >>relevance than a simile. But I can't recall this issue
    >>being discussed.
    >>Best, --David

    Well, metaphor does pose a few problems to relevance theory, and I'm hereby
    taking the liberty of appending R. Carston's post to the list on "Metaphor
    and effort" distributed some time ago. It may pay to contrast her thoughts
    as they may apply to 'simile' (vs. metaphor). As if [sic] confirming David
    Weber's 'gut feeling', a simile looks _like_ [sic] a more processable thing
    to process, but this is just what it _looks_ *like*. Some interspersed
    comments on R. Carston's comments below, with a few refs. to Grice (WOW)
    and Webster, and the entry for 'like' in the OED.

    Cheers,

    JL

    Refs.

    Cartwright, N. Fitting facts to equations. In PGRICE, see Grandy.
    Davidson, D. What metaphors mean. In Inquiries into truth and
    intepretation. Oxford.
       (cited in Sperber/Wilson, _Relevance_).
    Grandy, Richard, and Richard Warner, PGRICE, Philosophical Grounds of
    Rationality: intentions, categories, ends. Clarendon (Includes contribution
    by Wilson and Sperber, 'On defining relevance').
    Grice, H. P. Studies in the Way of Words, Harvard.
    Oxford English Dictionary.
    Webster's Dictionary of English Usage.

    ====