I Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics

From: Reyes Gomez Moron (rgommor@dhuma.upo.es)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 18:35:30 GMT

    I SYMPOSIUM ON INTERCULTURAL, COGNITIVE AND SOCIAL PRAGMATICS (EPICS I)
    CURRENT ISSUES ON PRAGMATIC RESEARCH
    University of Seville (Spain) - 10-12th April, 2002

    The research group Intercultural Pragmatic Studies (English-Spanish):
    Pragmatic and Discourse Aspects of the Department of English Philology
    at the University of Seville (Spain) is pleased to announce its First
    Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics (EPICS I –
    I Encuentros de Pragmática Intercultural, Cognitiva y Social), to be
    held in April 10-12th, 2002.

    Since the topic of this edition will be Current Issues on Pragmatic
    Research we would like to invite anyone currently researching in the
    areas of pragmatics and discourse analysis, from any methodological
    perspective or framework, to participate as attendant in EPICS I.

    The Symposium will serve as a forum where applied linguists and
    practitioners of Pragmatics and Discourse Analysis can meet, share
    experiences, discuss common problems, and present papers on their
    latest research in the field. EPICS I also wishes to create awareness
    among graduating students of the growing interest in this area of
    linguistic expertise.

    KEYNOTE SPEAKERS: Prof. Bruce Fraser (Boston University, USA) and Prof.
    Juliane House (Universität Hamburg)

    There will be four plenary lectures and several blocks of contributed
    papers grouped according to topic. Some of the titles to be presented
    in EPICS I are the following:

    -A micro-sociopragmatics of backstage comments on patient-nurse
    Conflict. R.Cameron (University of Illinois at Chicago, USA)
    -A procedural analysis of even. E.Delgado (University of the Basque
    Country, Spain)
    -Building a corporate image: An analysis of identity markers in
    business speeches. Van De Mieroop (Ufsia, Belgium)
    -Cross-cultural storytelling in intercultural settings. M.Bergelson
    (Moscow State University)
    -Delivery strategies in classroom lectures: organising the message.
    J.C. Palmer (Universitat Jaume I, Spain)
    -Directives as communicative acts and as communicative strategies.
    H.Oim (University of Tartu, Estonia)
    -Discourse in a prison setting. R. Kalisz & W. Kubinski (University of
    Gdask, Poland)
    -Enhancing the speaker-audience relationship in academic lectures. I.
    Fortanet (Universitat Jaume I, Spain)
    -Media discourse as a social practice: what is a stake in TV debates.
    M. Burger (University of Geneva, Switzerland)
    -Misinterpreting word problems. P. Ron (Universidad de Huelva, Spain)
    -Neo-Gricean pragmatics and anaphora. Y.Huang (University of Reading,
    UK)
    -Newcomers to the pool of quotatives: go and like. I.Buchstaller
    (University of Edinburgh, UK)
    -Pragmatic functions of Spanish parenthetical verbs. S.Schneider
    (University of Graz, Austria)
    -Psycho-cognition bases of irony understanding: an empirical study.
    Y.Zeng (Tsinhua University, Beijing, PR China)
    -Temporal Adverb order and focality. A. Ortigosa (University of La
    Rioja, Spain)
    -Zero-Anaphora: A cognitive-Pragmatic Approach. M.Pu (University of
    Maine at Farmington, USA)

    FEES
    Until March 25, 2002: Students 20 euro and attendants 50 euro
    From March 25, 2002 onwards: Students 20 euro and attendants 60 euro

    We hope you will circulate this information to your colleagues and
    others in your professional network, and to any discussion groups to
    which you subscribe. For more information aobut resgistration,
    please address to Reyes Gomez rgommor@dhuma.upo.es or Manuel Padilla
    mpadilla@siff.us.es.We hope to see you in April 2002, here in Seville
    (Spain).

    Thank you for your attention