Evidentials and Relevance

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 16:04:15 GMT

    From LINGUIST List: Vol-13-365. Feb 11 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.
    Home Page: http://linguistlist.org/

    John Benjamins Publishing presents a new work in Semantics/Pragmatics:
    Evidentials and Relevance. E. Ifantidou (Athens University of Economics &
    Business). Pragmatics & Beyond NS, 86 2001. xii, 225 pp.
    This book uses Sperber and Wilson's "Relevance Theory" to show how
    evidential expressions can be analysed in a unified semantic/pragmatic
    framework. Part I surveys general linguistic work on evidentials, presents
    speech-act theory and examines Grice's theory of meaning and communication
    with emphasis on three main issues:
      (i) for linguistically encoded evidentials,
           are they truth-conditional or non-truth-conditional, and
      (ii) do they contribute to explicit or implicit
           communication?
    For pragmatically inferred evidentials,
      (iii) is there a pragmatic framework in which they
            can be adequately accounted for?
    Part II examines those assumptions of Relevance theory that bear on the
    study of evidentials, offers an account of pragmatically inferred
    evidentials and introduces three distinctions relevant to the issues
    discussed in this book: between explicit and implicit communication,
    truth-conditional and non-truth conditional meaning, and conceptual and
    procedural meaning. These distinctions are applied to a variety of
    linguistically encoded evidentials, including sentence adverbials,
    parenthetical constructions and hearsay particles.
    The book offers convincing evidence that not all evidentials behave
    similarly with respect to the above distinctions and offers an explanation
    for why this is so.
    Contents
    1. Introduction:
       Evidentials: their nature and functions.
    2. Speech-act theory.
    3. Grice and communication.
    4. Relevance Theory.
    5. Sentence adverbials
    6. Parentheticals
    7. Evidential particles.
    8. Conclusions.

    =====

       "I never read a book before reviewing it".
                             Rvd. S. Smith.

    "Ch.1 Introduction: Evidentials: their nature and functions". I hope it
    answers the question as to whether we're gonna posit one linguistic
    criterion or a philosophical criterion or a semantic criterion or a
    functional criterion or what haveyou. E.g. take J. O. Urmson's
    'parentheticals'. He writes (p.239 of the Caton reprint):

    "We may now sum up. It must be admitted that there are verbs which may be
    said to describe a mental process... There is _another_ class of verbs ...
    whose peculiarty is that they can be used EITHER PARENTHETICALLY in the
    normal grammatical sense, OR ELSE FOLLOWED by 'that', in either case with
    an indicative clause. ... These verbs are the ones for which I have
    invented the technical name of parenthetical verbs."

    (edition cited by D. Wilson in online essay. The essay first published in
    _Mind_, vol. 61, and also repr. in A. G. N. Flew, ed., _Logic & Language_,
    Blackwell. (Urmson, of Corpus, being 'colleague' (qua tutor) of Hare and
    Grice and Austin at Oxford).

    I find that definition by Urmson rather 'tricky': he is using one single
    word, 'parenthetical', to cover two _widely_ different syntatical patterns.

    He is (terminologically) honest enough to note that only the _first_
    pattern deserves the title of 'parenthetical'. E.g. "The cat is, I know, on
    the mat". The fact that he, _surreptitiously_ (to use Grice's favourite
    epithet), applies the same rubric to the awfully different pattern "I know
    that the cat is on the mat' says a lot about _his_ brand of Oxonian
    analysis. Surely Grice would never accept the class of Urmson's
    parentheticals as a _natural_ kind...

    "Ch.2 Speech-act theory." Well, I guess it's Austin's class of
    "expositives", especially his Class No. 4:

         testify
         report
         swear
         conjecture
         ?doubt
         ?know
         ?believe

    Urmson writes: "The general significance of [Austin's] grouping is
    obvious". He forgot to add "to him". I.e. to Urmson (or would Urmson take
    "to him" parenthetically to refer to _Austin_?). I _love_ the "?" in front
    of 'doubt', 'know' and 'believe'! Surely they are _not_ illocutionary acts
    at all! (But then there are probably _no_ illocutionary acts, so to say
    that something is not an illocutionary act is not saying an awful lot, is it).

    "Ch.3. Grice and communication". Well, _he_ did some pretty good stuff on
    this. His category of 'quality' (a joke on Kant) is the one to focus on
    here. I especially _love_ the generalisation of quantity by Bach & Harnish:
    "Like Grice, we can begin by formulating the presumption for constatives,

      -- the speaker has adequate EVIDENCE for what he constates
         (or assumes in constating).

    (is this the same as Grice's "do not say that for which you lack adequate
    evidence"? Grice's constraint seems _weaker_). "Analogs of this presumption
    exists for other types of speech acts" For "directives"

      -- the speaker has _reasons_ for what he directs (or assumes in
         directing)

    For questions: "this amounts to not asking a question like, 'Have you
    stopped beating your wife?' unless you have reason to believe what is
    assumed?"

    ???? -- Surely I can test my addressee's intelligence, in which I may have
    _other_ reasons: namely to test his intelligence.

    "Ch.4 Relevance Theory". I hope the bibliography is updated.

    "Ch.5 Sentence adverbials." Hate them! Surely a sentential adverbial
    commits you to that odd theory of Davidson that 'adverbials' presuppose
    that the referent of a sentence is an 'event'. I long for the
    Wittgensteinian atomism when sentences meant 'facts', not 'events'! Urmson
    considers two nice relevant adverbs here, though: "Certainly, the cat is on
    the mat". (But what has 'certainty' to do with 'knowledge'? Nought! That's
    why Urmson is careful to say that he is only proposing some very bold (i.e.
    untrue) equivalence here.

    Urmson writes: "_certainly_, _probably_ and _possibly_ show how much
    reliability is to be ascribed to the statement. Perhaps it is worth saying
    that no importance should be attached to the grouping..."

    But surely the implication is:
    "certainly" =====> "I know"
    "probably" =====> "I believe" (prob: > 0.5)
    "possibly" =====> "I believe" (prob: < 0.5).

    "Ch.6 Parentheticals". Some natural kind! Mind: I'm not against the use of
    'parenthetical' (e.g. in the work of M. S. Green) as restricted to what
    Urmson would have as 'true' (i.e. genuine) parentheticals as in "The cat
    is, I know, on the mat". This class is difficult enough to deal with to try
    to extend Urmson's analysis to things like "I know that the cat is on the
    mat" which are better treated truth-conditionally a la Grice (_Studies_,
    p.53 -- and note that in Grice's account of 'know' no reference to
    'evidential' is required. The man who knows is not the one who has
    'adequate evidence' for what he says (as Gettier showed), but the one about
    who we can invoke 'some conditions placing restriction on how he came to
    think p (cf causal theory)". -- Grice's reference being obviously to A. I.
    Goldman.

    "Ch.7 Evidential particles". "particle"? Is this some _pars orationis_?

    "Ch.8. Conclusions". I hope the author expands on the relevance of
    relevance. "The book uses Sperber/Wilson's RT to show how evidential
    expressions can be analysed in a unified semantic/pragmatic framework. The
    first part surveys general work, presents speech-act theory and examines
    Grice's theory with emphasis on

    Q: For _encoded_ evidentials, are they truth-conditional or
    non-truth-conditional?

    A: They _are_ truth conditional. Urmson was wrong and working within a very
    artificially schema that he concoted himself to prove Austin's attitude
    against the true-false fetish right. He fails.

    Q: Do they contribute to explicit or implicit
    communication?

    A: _encoded_ evidentials surely balance towards the _explicit_ side of the
    explicit-implicit barrier. Surely, I wouldn't bother to say "I know" unless
    I want to be 'claimed' or 'deemed' to having _said_ it!

    Q: For pragmatically inferred evidentials, is there a
    pragmatic framework in which they can be adequately accounted for?

    A: No.

    But keep trying! (We love keep trying!). If there _is_ an adequate account
    we better inform Alvin Goldman about it...

    "Part II examines those assumptions of RT bearing on evidentials"

    Does the author list them?

    "offers an account of pragmatically inferred evidentials"

    Such as those triggered by tone of voice? Or is G. E. Moore being invoked
    here? Moore noted that

    "It is raining"

    implies that I believe it. So far so good. Is this 'belief' in rain
    _pragmatically inferred_? If so, it's surely not an implicature... (On
    Grice's account).

    Grice writes: "it will not be true that when I say that p, I
    conversationally implicate that I believe that p"

    Grice thinks that's too harsh (_contra_ Leech or Harnish, who use,
    respectively, direct or trivial to qualify the relevant conversational
    implicature here), and prefers to use "express" rather than "implicate".
    I follow suit!

    Austin surely knew this when he mocked those who said that "p" implies not
    just "I believe p" but "I _know_ P": Suppose someone says,

    "There's a goldfinch in the garden".

    Someone asks, "How do you know?" (Incidentally, this is odd, for surely
    that question does not _imply_ that the questioner thinks that the
    questionee _knows_! That's precisely what he's trying to assess! 'How do
    you 'know'?' would be better English, but some speakers are _sloppy_ (cfr.
    "How does she cook?" +> she does cook)). One can always answer:

    "Hey. Who said anything about 'know'?'

    Similarly if one is asked (upon one saying 'there's a goldfinch in the
    garden') 'Do you _know_ there is?'.

    Austin writes: "We may well reply 'No'. We may say, 'No, but I think there
    is', 'No, but I believe [there] is'. FOR THE IMPLICATION THAT I KNOW OR AM
    SURE IS NOT STRICT: we are not all (terribly or sufficiently) STRICTLY
    BROUGHT UP." (p.77).

    This ironic ref. to a strict education made me once think that the true
    Sceptic is the one who by abiding to Grice's 'Quality' reaches 'epokhe' and
    'ataraxia' (or both)...

    The book under review "... introduces three distinctions relevant to the
    issues discussed in this book":

    i. between explicit and implicit communication
       cfr. R. Carston, Pragmatics and the explicit-implicit distinction. UCL.
    ii. truth-conditional and non-truth conditional meaning,
    iii. and conceptual and procedural meaning.

    "These distinctions are applied to a variety of _encoded_ evidentials,
    including sentence adverbials, parenthetical constructions and hearsay
    particles."

    'Hearsay particles'? Such as 'they say'. Must confess to always them kinda
    tricky -- for who's _them_? Another nice hearsay particle (three rather) is
    "Hearsay has it" -- and surely one is doing nothing to stop it! A third
    hateful quartette this time of particles is "as rumour has it".

    "This book offers convincing evidence that not all evidentials behave
    similarly with respect to the above distinctions and offers an explanation
    for why this is so."

    Pity it's such an expensive book. Shall wait for the paperback.

                      (book reviewed by J. L. S., of the Grice Circle).

    ==
                            J L Speranza, Esq
    Country Town
    St Michael's Hall Suite 5/8