Exegesis

From: tim wharton (tim@tcody.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 14:55:48 GMT

    Dear all,

    As part of my thesis at UCL, I am writing a short paper on what Grice meant
    (NN) by 'what is said'; this has led me to some close analysis of Essays 1-6
    (and the Retrospective Epilogue) in 'Studies in the Way of Words' (WOW). In
    order that I might get as close as possible to Grice's original intentions,
    I thought it might be a good idea to try and reconcile these essays with the
    content of the original texts of the 1967 William James lectures.

    Neale (1992) points out that Grice (1975) - Essay 2 in WOW - is a (slightly)
    amended form of Lecture II, that Grice (1978) - Essay 3 in WOW - is a
    (slightly) amended form of Lecture III, that parts of Lectures VIII and IX
    were published as Grice (1968) - Essay 6 in WOW - and that parts of Lectures
    VI and VII were published as Grice (1969) - Essay 5 in WOW.

    I would be very interested in insights anyone might have regarding
    disparities between the original typescripts of the lectures and the
    published versions (either the original publications, or their reproductions
    in WOW -in particular, Essays 5 and 6). Naturally, I would also be
    interested to receive *any* communication regarding your views on Grice and
    his notion of 'what is said'.

    All definitive answers re. Grice's thinking, suggestions, clues or mere
    indications of the direction in which I may seek relevance will be
    gratefully received...

    Please feel free to reply off-list to the address below.

    Best wishes and (a belated) Happy New Year to everyone,

    Tim Wharton

    Refs:

    Grice, H. P. (1968) 'Utterer's meaning, sentence meaning and word meaning'.
    Foundations of Language 4: 225-242.
    Grice, H. P. (1969) 'Utterer's meaning and intentions'. Philosophical Review
    78: 147-177.
    Grice, H. P. (1975) 'Logic and conversation'. In Cole, P. & J. Morgan (eds)
    (1975) Syntax and Semantics 3: Speech Acts. Academic Press: NY.
    Grice, H. P. (1978) 'Further notes on logic and conversation'. In Cole, P.
    (ed) Syntax and Semantics 9: Pragmatics. Academic Press: NY.
    Neale, S. (1992) Paul Grice and the philosophy of language. Linguistics and
    philosophy 15.5: 509-559.

    Tim Wharton
    tim@tcody.freeserve.co.uk
    t.wharton@ucl.ac.uk