relevance list guidelines?

From: Vladimir Zegarac (vladimir.zegarac@luton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 08:57:01 GMT

    In this age, in which everything one does seems to be regulated by
    a Code of Proper Conduct (or some such formal document), the
    relevance list has seemed happily free of such regulation, and I
    have often sought and found relief in it.Sadly, in the light of
    numerous recent contributions from one contributor, I feel that it
    might be useful to spell out some simple guidelines (all the more
    so because a number of list members including myself have
    contacted this contributor personally and tried, without any
    success, to draw his attention to the inappropriateness of his
    contributions). I think that a list of such guidelines might include
    the following:

    - not expressing personal value judgements (eg. ...X, who wrote
    that boring article in..., or I've met X who seems to be a nice guy)

    - not pursuing personal disputes with other members on the list (it
    is always possible to do so off the list)

    - not engaging in pointless discussions (eg. of other list members'
    pre- and post- marital surnames, or of what has caused the
    contributor to confuse the identities of two people with similar
    names).

    Perhaps more guidelines should be added. But, whether you agree
    or disagree with my suggestion, I promise I will not contribute more
    messages on this subject to the list.

    Vlad Zegarac

    University of Luton