RT -- "relevance" in the OED

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 21:33:29 GMT

    SPERANZA'S IRRELEVANZA

    An exercise in boring Gricean "linguistic botanising"

       JR Searle: I don't care what the dictionary says!
       HP Grice: And that is where you make your big mistake.

    An offlister in England wrote:

        "Speranza, your posts are irrelevant (and ridiculous)".

    This got me into thinking. Perhaps "relevance" is an Italian concept
    ("ridiculous" is).
    So I did a search, with the OED.

    PS. Philosophy professor C.B. Keene used to keep a list on relevance
    (logic) at Middlesex. Maybe some of you subscribe there? Maybe Keene
    subscribes in here!

      Best,

       JL
        Grice Circle.

    =====
    First I thought -- How is Grice translated into Italian. D.S.M. Wilson was
    in Italy recently and kindly shared with us the programme of the conference
    on "The Legacy of Grice". Participants from England included her and D.
    Blakemore, as I recall. Participants from Germany included A. Kemmerling,
    and there were other participants too.

    I found at http://www.dif.unige.it/epi/hp/penco/did/bibfl-it.htm that
    Grice's seminal essay (now repr. in Kasher, as my previous post to this
    list noted) is Grice, H.P.

          _Logica & Conversazione_,
         With an intro by E. Picardi.
         Bologna, Italy: Mulino.

    This is described as a "raccolta di "essays" di H.P.Grice, filosofo che
    scrisse pochissimo, ma ebbe il genio di elaborare due o tre idee che sono
    rimaste come ispirazione di molti lavori successivi."

    So far so good.

    The link also mentions another relevant work:

       G. Cosenza, _Intenzioni, significato, & comunicazione_.
       Bologna, Italia: CLUEB.

    ===
    Now, what does the OED say about "relevance"? Enjoy!
    ==
    USAGE 1.

      = Relevancy.

    USAGE 2.

       Specially in recent use: pertinency to important current issues.

    USAGE 3.

       Social or vocational relevancy.

    QUOTES:
    FIRST REGISTERED USE IN ENGLISH:
    ****1733****
       Innes View Laws Scot 11
       (NOTE the word "relevance" WAS FIRST USED IN SCOTLAND).

       the relevance being determined, the probation
       proceeds in the next place.

       1865 Lecky Ration p98
       The main principle upon which the relevance of this
       species of narrative depends.

       1890 Spectator 19 Apr 536
       What relevance had such a fact to the duty of the hour?

       1949 Poetry Chicago Feb 299
       Tate holds that the poem is autonomous,
       and that the only relevance the subject-ideas
       have is to each other within the formal meaning
       of the work itself.

    ===
    THIS is interesting, since it relates to work on the so-called
    INTENTIONALIST fallacy. I.e. the idea (fallacy to some) that the meaning of
    a poem is independent of the meaning of the poet.
    ==

       1955 Bull. Atomic Sci. Apr. 126/1
    ======================
       Relevance is another one of these non-assessable
       quantities which circumstances require to be assessed.
    =============
    JLS Trouble is: HOW CAN YOU ASSESS THE NON-ASSESSABLE?
         Note that the circumstances REQUIRE that relevance be
         assessed does not entail that relevance is in fact
         assessed.
    ====
    The next three quotes show the word was in vogue in England in
    the mid-70s!

       1970 Time 30 Nov. 40
       The impetus came largely from student demands
       for relevance, especially for the
       overdue admission of more minority-group
       students. Activism has also done much to curb
       the old absurdities of trivial research and needless
       PhDs.

       1975 Language for Life Dept Educ & Sci 129
       We have heard the case for relevance
       carried to the point of excluding fantasy
       or any stories with settings or characters
       unfamiliar to the pupils from their
       first-hand experience.

       1975 Times 12 Feb 11
       The novel ["Hal"]- while laudable
       in its social intentions - is little
       more than a piecing together of stock

    ==
       1977 Chem in Brit Mar, 105

       It may seem anomalous in these days of
       relevance philosophy in tertiary education
       that the average student of chemistry gets
       little inkling from his teachers
       of the vast practical importance of
       disperse systems in industry.

       1978 New Scientist 21 Sept p850
       Relevance in research implies both
       social efficacy and psychic commitment
       by the research worker.

    ====
    RELEVANCY. Alternative spellings: "relivance"

       From the Roman "relevantia".

       1. The quality or fact of being relevant

       1.1. in Law, esp. Scotland's Law.

       1561 Reg. Privy Council Scot, p.173

       Of the law it is requirit to the
       relevancy thereof that other of
       the parties be relevant in the self,
       otherwise the haill to be nocht relevant.
    ==
    ?????
    == Give me Grice any time!

       1575 Reg. Privy Council Scot II 487
       The relivancy of the said allegeance.

       1693 Stair Instit p665
    =====================
       The meaning of relevancy -- which is more accustomed
       with us than elsewhere -- imports the Justice of the
       _point_, that is alledged to be relevant.
       ==========
       ((I Like that since it suggests RELEVANCY Is merely
       a Scottish thing)).

    Note that many pragmaticists have tried to define "relevance" in terms of
    point. "Be relevant" = "be to the point".

        1715 Burnet Own Time p521
        Then the matter of the charge, which is
        there called the relevancy of the libel,
        was to be argued by lawyers.

        1746 Act 20 Geo II p 43
        After the debate of the relevancy is
        ended, the procurators shall
        give in to the clerk informations in writing.

        1786 Burke Art agst W Hastings Wks 107
        The competence, or credibility, or relevancy of any
        of the said affidavits, or other attestations.

        1818 Scott Hrt Midl xxii
        the presiding Judge next directed the counsel
        to plead to the relevancy.

        1838 W. Bell Dict Law Scot 844
        The relevancy of the libel is the justice and
        sufficiency of the matters therein stated to
        warrant a decree in the terms asked.

        1883 Law Rep. 11 QB Div 594
        He failed to satisfy me that in a case
        in which this strict relevancy could not
        be proved the advocate would not be protected.

    1.2. In general use. Now less common than RELEVANCE.

        1826 Sheridaniana 49
        [Speranza's] answer would thus come with
        more relevancy and effect.

        1839 Hallam History of Literature pvii
        It is of no relevancy to the history of literature.

        1878 Simpson Sch. Shaks. I. 95
        His Irish enterprise had lost its
        appositeness & relevancy.

    ((I like this since apposite is like aptness)).

       1961 Jrnl Physical Chem LXV 317
       We are reporting these investigations
       because of their relevancy to problems of
       the study of apparently simple exchange
       reactions of chlorine.

       1980 Times Lit. Suppl. 30 May 609
       A tendency to confuse relevancy with recency.

    USAGE 2:
    a relevant remark. A nonce use influenced by "irrelevancy".

       1895 S Clemens ("Mark Twain") in N Amer Rev July 10
    ===================================
    Conversations consisted mainly of irrelevancies,
    with here and there a relevancy,
    a relevancy with an embarrassed look,
    as not being able to explain how it got there.
    ======================

    Appendix. Remarks on the morphology and spelling.

        "-ANCE". English suffix.

    From the Roman Latin "-antia" (see "esperance" -- a battle cry in
    Shakespeare's Henry V ("Esperance, Percy". 1 Hen. IV, v. ii. 97). Italian
    _speranza_), all of which in words that survived as nouns of action, on the
    pres. pple. For the confusion and inconsistency which this causes in
    current spelling,

        relevance vs. relevancy

    The suffix "-ance" is a living formative as used to form a noun of action
    on a native verb ("abid-ance", "abear-ance", "forbear-ance",
    "further-ance", "hinder-ance", "good ridd-ance").

    RELEVANT. Alternative spelling: "relivant".

    From Roman Latin, "relevantem" (Ducange 1481).

    Present participle of Roman "relevare"

    relev-are -> relev-antia -> mod. Ital. relev-anza. Engl. relevance
    sper-are -> sper-antia -> mod. Ital. sper-anza Engl. esperance
    relevare: "to raise up. Cfr. English "relieve", and "relief".
    Cognate with Italian "rilevante" =

    Glossed by Florio as "availeful, of importance, of worth, of consequence".

    USAGE 1
    SUBUSAGE 1:
    Bearing on, connected with, pertinent to (the matter at hand).

      1560 Rolland Crt Venus, p.498

      I sall the schaw one answer relevant.

      1646 Chas I Lett to A. Henderson, p.55

      To determine our differences, or, at least,
      to make our probations & arguments
      relevant.

      1646 R Baillie Anabaptism, p.143
    =======================================
    It is very relevant if it were true.
    =======================================
    JLS: THIS SUGGESTS THAT GRICE's Quality is more basic than RELATION? (I
    think that a hasty look at the OED Grice was purposefully confusing
    etymologies when he said, "relation: be relevant". rel-evant, and rel-ation
    only have in etymological commonality that both start with prefix "re-",
    but they are otherwise unconnected. I.e. the "l" sound is not cognate. But
    then Grice needed the four super-maxims if he was to echo Kant's categories
    of judgement.

       1707 J Frazer Disc Second Sight 15

       It seems truly to be founded on relevant grounds.

       1782 Pownall Study Antiq, p.140

       A positive regulation respecting marriage,
       relevant to a like regulation of the institution of the theocracy.

       1827 Stewart Planter's G, p78
       We either admit those objections as relevant,
       or obviate them as unfounded.

       1851 Gladstone Glean, p15
       The advantage most relevant of all to the present purpose.

       1875 Jowett Plato, p.4
       Many things in a controversy might seem relevant,
       if we knew to what they were intended to refer.

       1948 D Cecil Two Quiet Lives p.140
       To learn everything that could possibly
       be thought relevant to the subject.

       1969 Harper's Mag Nov, p.86
       Either we can commit ourselves to changing the
       institutions of our society that need to be changed,
       to make them
       - to use a term which I hate -
       relevant, or we can sit back & try to defend them.

    =====
    Great PITY (shame) WE ARE NOT TOLD WHO WROTE THIS, OR WHY HE/SHE FOUND
    "Relevant" hateful.
    I think she/he meant "vague"?
    ====
        1970 NY Times 1 July, p.44
        Museums should have a
        more involved or relevant public role.

        1976 Listener 20 May p.627
        The ultimate sin of the broadcaster is to keep off the air,
        because of his political or social prejudices,
        subjects which are relevant & significant.

        1978 S Braden, Artists & People, p.17.
        What actually makes a work of art relevant to people?
        It has been said that relevance is achieved
        when artists meet the real observations of their public.

      USAGE 1.1. Correspondent/proportional (to something).

        1868 Rogers Political Economy, p.76
        Population & the supply of food must be
        exactly relevant.

        1868 Rogers Political Economy, p.191
        The value is absolutely relevant
        to the demand for them.
    =====
    Second Usage: Technicism. Scotland's Law:
       Legally pertinent or sufficient.

        1561. See "relevancy".

        1644 Maxwell Prerog Kings 107
        They can make no relevant endictment
        against them.

        1723 in Maclaurin Argt & Decis Cases, p.70
        They find the libel relevant to infer the pains of law.

        1753 Stewart's Trial 149
        They remit the pannel
        with the libel as found relevant to the knowledge of an assize.

        1818 Scott Hrt Midl 22
        The defence, that the panel had communicated
        her situation to her sister, was
        a relevant defence.

       1838 W Bell Dictionary of Law in Scotland, p.273
       The exception of fraud, or force and fear,
       is not relevant against all actions.
    ====
    Third Usage:
    Relieving; remedial.

       1730 Bailey (folio):
       Relevant, relieving.

       1762 Aston in Burke's Corr I 38
       They ever pursued vindictive rather than relevant measures.
    ===
    Two uses of the adverb "RELEVANTLY" indexed by the OED:
       1561 Reg Privy Council Scot I 180
    In respect of the libel relevantly
    libeled against the said Thos Kennedy.
       1883 Law Rep 11 QB Div 601