Re: "plicatures" ?

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 09:01:00 GMT

    "would it not be better to use a single term like 'plicatures' which coversall assumptions of {I} as the theoretically more basic term, and only
    distinguish between "explicatures" and "implicatures" where this is actually
    necessary for communication-theoretical reasons?"

    Interesting question, Ernest-August, & I should get hold of your more
    philosophical papers, since I live translating from my Language of Thought
    into the Local Dialect into UCL English and back to my Language of Thought.

    Anyway, I would not call the set "I", if it's "plicature". I'd call it "P".

    I think it would be worth revising the etym. of "imply" and "explicate". I'm
    afraid I'm no good at it, for the time being. I do believe in Roman (Latin)
    there were (at least) two verbs:

    . im-plicare
    . ex-plicare

    In standard English, it seems we only have:

    1. imply ("implicate" has a legalese use:
       "he was implicated in the crime" does not imply
       that he actually uttered anything, I would say)
    2. explicate (circa: explain?).

    I.e. there's an asymmetry. We needed Grice to coin for us

    3. implicate (HP Grice 1967, Lectures on Logic of Conversation, II,
                Harvard). (I write this as a lexicographer since I
                think it a disgrace the verb is not yet in many
                dictionaries).
    4. explicate (D.Sperber/D.Wilson).

    Grice's point in coining "implicate" was obvious (to him, and to me). S/W's
    point in coining "explicature" (qua product of "explicate") was also obvious
    (to them, to me).

    Yet, I trust the Romans meant SOMETHING by

    . plicare

    What they meant I cannot submit, but a look at the OED2 or Short/Lewis's
    Latin Dict. may clarify things for us?

    (Perhaps "plicare" was Roman for "mean", and so "imply" and "explicate" come
    out as the two main "shades" of "Gricean" utterer's meaning, as I like to
    call'em: to EXplicitly mean (something, that p) and to IMplicitly mean
    (something, that q) - if you excuse me the split infinitives - and the
    cumbersome lingo).

    Best,
    JL
    BA Arg.