Re: Cognitive context or cognitive environment?

From: Xu Hancheng (hanch-xu@jlonline.com)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 09:05:15 GMT

    Hello, Mr. Speranza,

    > "JING" OR "HUANJING"?
    > That is the question.

    In our case "JING" and "HUANJING" mean just the same. You can simply consider "JING" is a compressed form of "HUANJING". In English motel is from "motor hotel", newscast - new broadcast, hi-tech - high technology...

    > Xu, I'm a bit confused. You are writing an essay in CHINESE, who you intend
    > to present to your ENGLISH professor, and besides, the topic will be, the
    > implicatures in RUSSIAN! Couldn't you have chosen something, say, a bit ...
    > EASIER?

    I just have to Chinese is my native and Russian is my major. English is one of my favorites. Implicature is first systematically studied by Grice H.P. (unfortunately didn't write on Russian, or it would be easier for me!). My dissertation will be presented first of all to my advisor, reviewers and opponents. They are Chinese and know Russian perfectly. English might cause difficulties to them, but implicature is a common phenomenon in world languages. Why not take good ideas from studies in other language?

    > Trouble is, "context" is also a hateful English term. It should be "co-text"
    > (Why the anglophones intrude an "n" there escapes me!). Also, to "worsen"
    > the situation, "text" actually means "fabric". So we can speak of the
    > "textual quality" of a painting, for example. It does not necessarily mean
    > "linguistic". So, we can speak of a painting (e.g. Picasso's "GUERNICA") and
    > its context (The Spanish Civil War).
    >
    > What I do like is the family of concepts:
    >
    > text
    > context
    > co-text
    > and pre-text
    > A "pre-text" is what stands in place of a "text", but it's not much used by
    > linguists! (A term some of them love is "context-dependency" though!).

    Russian even devised another word - "posletekst". That means something like "post-text" (words, phrases, sentences after the text in questioned). Do you like it?

    > It's the COGNITIVE SIDE you're interested in, anyway. Not the
    > "context/environment" side. For the most complex theory of "context" (as
    > such) that you can ever imagine I recommend the books on Montague Grammar!
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > JL

    Yes. I have to choose between "renzhi huanjing" (cognitive environment) and "renzhi yujing" (cognitive context), and then interpret the chosen term successfully. I hesitated to ask for some time because it is so basic for whole theory, it might not be a problem for others. But it is better to listen to others first after all.

    Sorry for trouble you with Chinese problems. But I might be of help with my knowledge of Chinese and Russian.

    Thank you for your patience and many thanks to others in the list for your tolerance.

    Xu Hancheng