Re: Cognitive context or cognitive environment?

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 11:42:07 GMT

    Xu writes,

      In China we use something like "cognitive
      linguistic context".

    Well, that may make sense in Chinese, but not as you translate it, I'm sorry
    (:(), or so it seems to me (Never mind, I'm far from a purist :)). Troubles
    I see with your Chinese expression:

      1. how come it can be linguistic AND cognitive
         at the same time?
         Are you adopting a Fodor-like theory of
         a Language Of Thought?
         "linguistic" are things like chains of phones and phonemes
         "cognitive" are things like beliefs and intentions
         (nowadays called "metarepresentations).

      2. why restrict "context" to the linguistic and/or cognitive?
         usually other features (mainly physical, e.g. referents
         for deictics) are just as essential- admittedly,
         as they are "cognised" by the communicators.

      3. Therefore, I think "cognitive environment" is a better
         expression.

    Sperber/Wilson's Relevance (index) has entry for

    "cognitive environment", 38-46, ff.

    but not for

    "cognitive context". On the other hand the book does have an entry for

    "context", 12ff
    "contextual effect"
    and "contextualisation"

    but not for "environment" as such.

    "Cognitive environment" is first used on p.38., in section "Cognitive
    environments & manifestness", so it seems to be RT's preferred term of art.
    It is defined in claim (40)

    (40) a cognitive environment of an individual is
         a set of facts that are manifest to him.

    To be manifest is "to be perceptible or inferrable" (note: to be more
    precise "we might say that to be manifest is to be capable of being
    perceived or inferred without being immediately invalidated", n.28). This
    refinement in the note is to allow for cases where

    1. the individual can perceive that p, but do not believe that p.

    (e.g. Tweety perceives a cat, but does not believe there's a cat before him)

    2. The individual may infer that there is a cat, but do not
       perceive it

    (e.g. Tweety just perceives "evidence" that the cat is around).

    As Sperber/Wilson put it,

      "one can mistrust one's senses, and hence perceive and yet
      not believe" (p.258).

    Recall Tweetie's monologue:

    "I perceive a wicked black cat before me"
    "I believe there is a black cat before me"
    "Oh, yes, there IS a black cat before me"

    (Tweety's example was a favourite example with my professor of epistemology.
    I'm afraid we worked with translations of the original English, and I trust
    Tweety's English is more idiomatic). Sperber/WIlson write,

      "once can perceive and yet not believe".
      (p.258).

    Note that for example for Grice, even though "see" (a verb of perception) is
    a factive (ceteris paribus) on can have (Grice's example (Studies, p.44)):

    3. Macbeth sees Banquo.

    where Macbeth may be conscious (in Shakespeare's tragedy he isn't but never
    mind) that he is hallucinating, and so, he may not believe that there is
    Banquo in front of him to be seen (Traditionalist Grice concludes that we
    are using "see" in a "loose" way in a claim like (3)). A second case
    Sperber/Wilson consider is when

       "one infers and not believe,
       as when a validly inferred conclusion
       contradicts a strongly held belief.

    This points to the complexity of the cognitive environment. After a
    convincing and very logical lecture on the Neo Darwinist Evolutional Theory,
    the auditor may be led to believe that Man does Descends from the Apes (as
    inferred, inter alia, from Neo-Genetics, Darwin's Theory of the survival of
    the fittest plus Malthus's idea of geometrical increase of population vs.
    arithmetical increase of food). Yet, upon leaving the conference hall, he
    reminds the previous Sunday Presbyterean sermon, that it, that Man was
    created directly by God after his image, and so he opts for a strongly held
    belief than a validly inferred conclusion. Of course, life (and thus
    science!) being relative, one never knows what is validly inferred and what
    is not!

    In Sperber/Wilson, the concept of COGNITIVE environment co-exists with that
    of PHYSICAL environment, and indeed it may be thought of as being derivable
    from that of "physical" environment PLUS rational capacities: "an
    individual's total congitive environment is a function"

    in the set-theoretical usage

    "of his phyiscal environment and his cognitive abilities" (p.39). The
    psychological (explanatory) role of cognitive environment comes in when
    communication enters the picture: "when you communicate" - Sperber/Wilson
    write - "your intention is [at least. JLS] to ALTER the cogntive environment
    of your addressee" (p.46)

    Best,

    JL
    (Mr)