Re: illustrations and RT

From: Christoph Unger (ChristophU@t-online.de)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 10:25:10 GMT

    Robert,

    In chapter 5 of my PhD thesis (2001, 'On the cognitive role of genre: a
    relevance-theoretic perspective, University of London), I have analysed an
    allegory/parable in some detail. The key is that expectations of relevance
    are raised on several levels of communication, and can be adjustet as the
    on-line comprehension process continues. This licenses and restricts which
    'illustration-implications' the addressee will treat as intended. I am happy
    to send you an electronic copy of this chapter (or even of the whole thesis,
    if you want) in PDF format if you contact me off-list.

    Best,

    Christoph Unger

    on 26.02.2001 19:59 Uhr, Robert Stephenson at RobertS@twu.ca wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I am presently writing my MA thesis in applied linguistics on RT and
    > parable interpretation. Has anyone looked at RT and illustrations? I
    > believe that illustrative discourse can infer a principle (?) quite apart
    > from the intention of the teller or context. Does the form 'illustration'
    > also provide implicatures that the audience should not stop with the first
    > arrived at inference and search for further implicatures. At what point in
    > the context of a story or 'illustration' should the audience decide that it
    > should waste no further processing effort?
    > Part of my confusion seems to come from the possibility that a
    > 'story' or 'illustration' can be seen as a coded unit, but the inferences do
    > not have to necessarily arise from the plot or characters, etc, in the
    > story. I see connections between this and S&W's example of the character
    > who writes his friend from Russia proclaiming the wonderful life he has
    > except for not being able to find green ink. If anyone can assist me with
    > any of this, I'd be grateful.
    >
    > Robert Stephenson

    Christoph Unger
    Mozartstr. 26