Glad Yuletide

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 23:53:24 GMT

    Glad Yuletide to all relevanters,

    A tit-bit (or tiD-bit, as the pooritan Americans prefer):

    "When my grandmother was 80 years old, she didn't use glasses."

    TRY TO REASON THE OPTIMAL RELEVANCE FOR THAT

                 scroll down

    "She drank right out of the bottle." (Syman Hirsch)

    Is there a name for that phenomenon. I mean why do we (or at least I) infer
    wrong? Call it "The Glasses Effect". My explanation (INTER ALIA)

      - "glasses" in plural is a fixed collocation.
        You cannot wear a glass.
        but cfr. a monocle.
        (I think John Lyons's book on pragmatics plays
        on this pun on the cover of the Fontana edition).

      - also the proper English (British) way is to
        "WEAR" glasses, not "use" them!

      - old people wear glasses.

      - you don't clean your dirty linen in public, as the
        English do (I mean, as the English "say"!)
        I.e. alcoholism is not a relevant out-of-the-blue
        conversational topic.

      - etc.

    A Glad Yuletide to all!

    JL