new book

From: Pilkington Adrian (Adrian.Pilkington@rhbnc.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 11:21:51 GMT

    Following Dan's e-mail earlier this morning, there may be one or two people
    interested in ( and one or two more interested in having available in their
    library) a book published by John Benjamins a month or so ago entitled
    'Poetic Effects: A Relevance Theory Perspective' (by me, Adrian Pilkington),
    available in hardback and paperback. This book is, most appropriately, part
    of the 'Pragmatics and Beyond' series (No.75). The List of Chapters is as
    follows:

    1.: Literary studies and literary theory.
    2.: Theories of literariness, language and communication in literary
        studies.
    3.: Pragmatic theory.
    4.: Metaphor.
    5.: Schemes and verse effects.
    6.: Emotion, attitude and sentimentality.
    7.: Varieties of affective experience.
    8.: Conclusion.

    The first chapters express an interest in the notion of literariness and
    approaches to literariness in literary studies; chapters 3-5 explore the
    relevance theory account of poetic style; chapters 6 and 7 go beyond.

    A couple of other announcements while I'm here.
    My e-mail address from mid-September will change to: aep@ext.jussieu.fr
    I'll be working at the British Institute in Paris and hope to set up some
    seminars in Language of Literature (RT perspective) in conjuction with the
    Institute of English Studies (which is based in Senate House, London).
    If this gets off the ground, it won't be for some time yet. But if anyone is
    interested they might like to get in touch in the Autumn. Of course, if/when
    it does get off the ground, I'll announce a programme on the list.

    Adrian Pilkington