CYBERPRAGMATICS

From: FRANCISCO YUS RAMOS (F.YUS@mail.ono.es)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 16:20:23 GMT

    Dear all,
    My home e-mail has changed into f.yus@mail.ono.es and now it works fine.

    I am currently writing a relevance-theory-based book called Cyberpragmatics (my coinage, I think). It deals with communication through the Internet and how RT can provide a good explanation of this variety of communication/conversation. The chapters are:

    (1) PRAGMATICS, CONTEXT AND RELEVANCE. Brief introduction to pragmatics, with special emphasis on context, plus a brief introduction to RT.

    (2) THE PRESENTATION OF SELF IN EVERYDAY WEB. The "real" speech community versus the "virtual" text community. Language-centred identity on Internet. Goffman on the Internet.

    (3) ONLINE CONVERSATION. Chats and "oralized written communication". Verbal versus visual information. Manifestness in virtual cognitive environments.

    (4) "YOU'VE GOT MAIL". E-mail messages as typically ostensive communication. Sender-revealing qualities of e-mails. Degrees of mutual manifestness (a very high degree is required in newsgroups, for instance).

    (5) POLITENESS AND NETIQUETTE. Politeness issues as dealt with by RT analysts and then applied to computer-mediated communication.

    (6) HYPERTEXT AND IMPLICATURE. RT's weak/strong implicatures/implications typically applied to written texts (i.e, literature) and now applied to hypertext as an open-ended addressee-centred interpretive task.

    I would be grateful if you could let me know ways in which you think RT might be applied to this peculiar form of communication. I may not have born them in mind yet and the book might benefit from these suggestions (your names will be credited in the book, of course).

    Thanks in advance.

    Cordially,

    Dr. Francisco Yus
    University of Alicante
    Department of English Studies
    http://www.ua.es/dfing
    Apartado 99, E-03080 Alicante (Spain)
    Tel: +34 9653400 Extension: 3027 (university)
    Tel: +34 966085897 (home)
    Mobile phone: +34 600750659
    e-mail: francisco.yus@ua.es (university)
    e-mail: f.yus@mail.ono.es (home)