A "customer's review" of Relevance on Amazon.com

From: Dan Sperber (sperber@poly.polytechnique.fr)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 23:05:19 GMT

    Amazon.com (the US site) carries the following "customer's review"
    of _Relevance_ together with the lowest possible rating. Oh well...

    A problematic understanding of relevance April 28, 2000
    Reviewer: birger hjørland (see more about me) from Denmark
    The understanding of the concept of relevance in this book confused me. I
    was therefore happy when I read the important article by Talbot (1997),
    which contains a discussion of the approach suggested by Sperber & Wilson
    (1995). Talbot writes, that the drawback of the model suggested by Sperber
    & Wilson is that it is an asocial model, a model lacking any social
    element. "Relevance presents an internationalist view of action. In it,
    people are depicted as individuals who confront unique problems in
    communication. In the real world, however, people are social beings who are
    working within preexisting conventions. This latter view of the language
    user and the nature of communication is practiced in studies of discourse
    analysis, especially in certain later developments (e.g., Fairclough,
    1989). In Sperber and Wilson's model, differences between people are
    depicted solely as differences between individuals' cognitive environments.
    These differences are assumed to stem from variations in physical
    environment and cognitive ability between people. Considerations of culture
    and society are notably absent in the characterization of individuals'
    cognitive environments. In Relevance, the authors work with a
    "commonsensical" view of all individuals sharing essentially the same
    epistemological organization of the real world. . . The consequences of
    such disregard are serious . . ." (Talbot, 1997, p.446).
    In my own view a theory about relevance must essentially be an
    epistemological theory. In a given domain, there exists differents
    theories, metatheories, "paradigms" etc., which in a very strong way
    implies what is relevant. In psychology, for example, there is a big
    difference between what is regarded relevant by a behaviorist and by a
    psychoanalyst. You cannot study relevance neglecting the different
    "theories" from which human beings interact with the world. For a longer
    discussion see my paper "Relevance research: the missing perspective(s).
    "non-relevance" and "epistemological relevance" in Journal of the American
    Society for Information Science, 2000, vol. 51, no. 2, pp.209-211.
    Talbot, M. M. (1997). Relevance. IN: Concise Encyclopedia of Philosophy of
    Language. Ed. By P. V. Lamarque & R. E. Asher. (Pp. 445-447). New York:
    Pergamon.

    Dan Sperber
    CREA - Ecole Polytechnique
    1 rue Descartes