forwarded messages

From: robyn carston (robyn@linguistics.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 12:42:26 GMT

    I'm forwarding two messages; these were sent by non-members of
    the list, so automatically come via me. Robyn

    Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:08:01 +0000 (GMT)
    From: "R.D.Borsley" <r.d.borsley@bangor.ac.uk>
    To: Relevance list <relevance@linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>
    Subject: Applied linguistics

    Has anyone ever thought about (or even written about) various currents in
    applied linguistics which are concerned in various ways with linguistic
    communication. I am thinking here Hallidayan social semiotics and
    so-called critical discourse analysis developed by people like Norman
    Fairclough. At least within British applied linguistics these currents
    seem to be very influential. On the face of it they would benefit from
    critical scrutiny by relevance theorists. Has anyone given them such
    attention?

    Bob Borsley

    I am now a member of the Department of Language and Linguistics at the
    University of Essex (http://www.essex.ac.uk/linguistics/). However, I am
    based in Bangor until May, and this e-mail address should work until the
    summer.

    Department of Linguistics
    University of Wales, Bangor
    Bangor LL57 2DG
    Wales

    FAX: +44 1248 38 29 28

    Robyn Carston
    Department of Phonetics & Linguistics, UCL
    Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
    Tel 020 7419 3174
    Fax 020 7383 4108
    URL http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/robyn/