Getting started with the deep learning tools
This document describes the computing tools we will be using on the course.
Introduction to Colaboratory
Google Colaboratory is a free programming environment where you can access many resources for learning about programming, machine learning and deep learning. Colab provides a Python programming environment together with many resources for machine learning that runs wholly within a web browser. There are many compatible notebooks available on the web that you can run in Colab.
This video provides a brief introduction.
You can access Colaboratory from any of the course web pages by clicking on the "Start Colaboratory" button in the page menu.
To save your notebooks, you must have a Google Drive account. If you don't have a Drive account, you can sign up at Google Drive.
Learning how to use Colab notebooks
A good place to start is the Welcome to Colaboratory notebook.
You may find these learning resources useful:
- Getting started with Google Colab on Medium.com.
- Google Colab Free GPU Tutorial on Medium.com.
- Introduction to Google Colab Notebooks.
- LinkedIn Learning Video Courses: "Numpy Data Science Essential Training: Introduction to Jupyter Notebook". Accessible to all UCL staff and students through this sign on.
You can find a tutorial introduction to the Python language in our Python Tutorial notebook on Colab.
You may find these other learning resources useful:
- Brief Introduction to Colab and Python
- LinkedIn Learning Video Courses: About Python 3: Python Essential Training. Accessible to all UCL staff and students through this sign on.
Implement answers to the problems described in the notebooks below. Save your completed notebooks into your personal Google Drive account.
- Attempt some problems from Practice Python Beginner Python exercises.
Word count: . Last modified: 22:45 11-Mar-2022.