Re: RT list: RT and rhetorical tropes

From: David J Weber <david_weber@sil.org>
Date: Wed May 07 2014 - 15:58:38 BST

Stefan and all,

I appreciate your concern and would like to make a proposal/challenge to
the RT community. Simply put, it is to (1) acquire a long list of tropes and
(2) for each, provide an analysis in terms of RT, hopefully enriching the
study of Literature and guiding those brave souls who put their hands to
translating literature.

As to (1), perhaps someone knows of a respectable list. The best that I
have seen is Bullinger's Figures of Speech Used in the Bible: Explained
and Illustrated. (See https://archive.org/details/figuresofspeechu00bull.) It
deals with 217 figures of speech (Bullinger xii). This catalog has the
virtue of presenting almost 8000 illustrative "passages", real examples
from real literature. These were first written in centuries or millennia past
and over time have been translated into hundreds of languages. (For
English we can judge how successfully from the English translation.)

As to (2), I am not proposing this as a project, but as a research agenda.

Best, --David