RT list: new series and books in Pragmatics

From: Alessandro Capone <alessandro.capone@istruzione.it>
Date: Tue Dec 17 2013 - 23:37:43 GMT

relevance@linguistics.ucl.ac.uk

Greetings.

The new series PPPP (Perspectives on Pragmatics, philosophy and
Psychology) of which I am chief editor is solidly set up and will
continue.

http://www.springer.com/series/11797

Now the following books are out, in electronic form and in print:

http://www.springer.com/philosophy/book/978-3-319-01010-6

http://www.springer.com/philosophy/book/978-3-319-01013-7

There will be a (small) change in the series soon, considering that the
advisory board will be the following:

Igor Douven
Wayne Davis
Louise Cummings
Yan Huang
Franco Lo Piparo
Keith Allan

My talks with Springer have had the aim to devote greater space to
clinical pragmatics, giving greater responsibility to the associate editor
Louise Cummings. Furthermore, it was agreed that Wayne Davis will be
mainly responsible for books that are philosophically dense.

Capone, Huang, Keith Allan and Lo Piparo will be responsible for
linguistics or philosophy of language.

I should say I am happy that vol 2 contains two contributions by Relevance
Theorists - especially Alison Hall's paper has been 'popular' for weeks (I
guess it means: the most downloaded). I also agree this is a good scholar,
to be proud of.

Burton-Roberts' excellent paper has been the most downloaded paper of
volume 2. Anna Morpurgo Davis once told me this is one of the most
important scholars in GB and I agree. Words do not suffice to thank him
(and words do not suffice, however, to express strong intentionality - we
need a an explicatue à la Sperber/Wilson/Carston).

The most dowloaded papers in vol 2 were Margaret Gilbert, Wayne Davis,
Capone in vol 2. In vol 1, Kecskes, Huang, Hall, Burton-Roberts.

We announce the following volumes:

Pragmatics, culture and society, eds. Mey JL, Capone A

in addition to

The pragmatics of indirect reporting

(For this we already have many many papers by excellent scholars; if
Relevance Theorists want to write a section on meta-representations in
indirect reporting, please feel free to do so, provided that papers are
submitted not after August 2014 (quite literally - and I am literally
saying 'quite literally'). A Relevance Theory scholar may join the editors
of the volume, if needed. If someone takes the initiative to edit this
sub-section, please let me know).

The editors of the volume so far are Capone, F Kiefer, Lo Piparo.

Th next book to be edited by Neal Norrick and Capone is The Handbook of
Pragmatics. Nobody (domain of the quantifier: Relevance Theorists) has
accepted to write on Relevance Theory - this is really a pity.

An Italian scholar, Pietro Perconti will brilliantly write a paper on
Pragmatics and Cognitive Science - and this will subsume Relevance Theory.

I hope relevance theorists will take advantage of this book, to write
something and to show to the international community that the pragmatics
community is NOT divided. It is too easy to complain that Chomskyan
linguistics has invaded Universities suffocating other brands of
linguistics. This is an opportunity to show cohesion.

I should say that in principle the series is open to new authors, but in
order to launch it, we asked Wayne Davis and Louise Cummings to write two
books (one each). The publication of our planned books will also prevent
us from publishing new books in the short term.

However, if there are authors who feel they have written or are writing
very very interesting books, after a rigorous review process, we shall
find ways to publish them, although it must be clear that one must wait a
bit.

Finally, I end by pointing out that my other edited book is out:

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/distributed/A/bo16901425.html

and last piece of news, I intend to work on a review of Wilson and
Sperber's collected papers. This a good book, which deserves praise. (and
again an explicature of strong intentionality is to accompany the praise).

This is all, for now.

alessandro