Re: RT list: Degrees of inference?

From: ian mackenzie <ianlaurence.mackenzie@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 27 2013 - 18:08:05 GMT

Thank you, Ronnie Sim.

It’s not only the Horn of Africa. John Hinds (1987) quotes Yoshikawa(1978)
(I can give the refs. to anyone who wants them) saying “the basic principle
of communication in Japan, the fact that what is verbally expressed and
what is actually intended are two different things, is something that
Japanese people are supposed to be aware of.”

S&W do of course argue that language use (in any natural language) is
almost never literal, and that inference is almost always involved, but I’m
still surprised that no-one seems to have tried to rank languages according
to levels of inference, or the use of implicatures. Especially with all the
SIL linguists with knowledge of Africa, and the various Japanese linguists
working in RT. Then again, they tend to analyse specific particles,
connectors, discourse markers, etc., i.e. do *real* work, rather than trade
in airy generalisations like I do!

Ian MacKenzie