RT list: Forwarded announcement: conference on figures of speech, London June 2013

From: Nicholas Allott <nicholas.allott@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Apr 15 2013 - 09:38:56 BST

Dear all,

An announcement from Mihaela Popa about a conference she is organising in London this June.

As it says at the end, queries etc. should be directed to her at popa.michaela@gmail.com

Best,
Nick

RT list admin

==============

We are pleased to announce and invite participation in a 2 day workshop:

Go Figure 2013 - Understanding Figures of Speech.
Institute of Philosophy, London.
20-21 June 2013

INVITED SPEAKERS
Stephen Barker, University of Nottingham
John Barnden, University of Birmingham
Anne Bezuidenhout, University of South Carolina
Emma Borg, University of Reading
Mitchell Green, University of Virginia
Larry Horn, Yale University
Ofra Magidor, University of Oxford
Stephen Neale, Cuny, New York
Mihaela Popa, University of Birmingham
Stephen Schiffer, New York University
Catherine Wearing, University of Wellesley
Deirdre Wilson, University College London

WORKSHOP AIMS
Understanding figurative speech is a topic that interests
philosophers, linguists, psychologists and AI-researchers alike. While
interesting in and of itself its further appeal lies partly in the
challenges that figurative meanings raise for standard propositional
models of meaning. It raises, for example, particular problems in
debates on the semantics/pragmatics distinction, and on the semantics
of propositional attitudes. Today, the area has flourished. Much has
been written on the question of how we understand figures of speech
such as metaphor, metonymy, and irony, and whether the type of meaning
involved is a matter of 'saying' or rather of 'implicating'. Research
on these topics continues to be the focus of a large community of
philosophers, linguists, and increasingly of AI-researchers.

This workshop aims to provide a forum for discussion on figurative
speech, theories of it, and their broader implications. It will
provide an opportunity to reflect, via invited talks and informal
discussions, on the state of art, and to encourage new thinking about
less well explored topics.

ANALYSIS BURSARIES
We are happy to announce that we can offer a small number of Analysis
bursaries to for graduate students from outside London to attend Go
Figure. For those interested please send a CV and a short description
of your research interests to:popa.michaela@gmail.com

SPONSORS
We gratefully acknowledge support from:
Institute of Philosophy London, Mind Association, British Society of
Aesthetics, Analysis, and Leverhulme Trust.

Information about the registration can be found on the conference website at:

http://events.cs.bham.ac.uk/go-figure/index.html

For any queries or questions, please contact: popa.michaela@gmail.com