RT list: My introduction

From: nick reardon <nreardon786@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Sep 25 2012 - 21:14:42 BST

Hello everyone! I am pleased to see that there is a forum that you guys use
to discuss your views. I have been studying Linguistics for about 5 years
now, and have been a frequent poster on the linguistics forums for about 2
years now. I've developed a theory of my own in regards to pragmatics, but
it was very interesting being introduced the work of Dan Sperber and
Deirdre Wilson. I haven't got much time to invest in studies that are
outside of my curriculum (I am currently an undergraduate student at
Oakland University) but I have taken the time to read a good portion of
Pragmatics, Modularity, and Mind Reading written by S&W. I'd like to say
that if you're interested, there has been much talk going on about their
theory at lingforum.com, especially under the thread authored by Guijarro
(who is an avid supporter of S&W) called "The Fear and Attraction to be
like God."

I'd like to renounce my theory for the sake of gaining wisdom until it is
appropriate to make comments, but I would also like to hear what you guys
think about certain things that my theory deals with as well.

First and foremost, do you guys intend on empirically testing RT
computationally? Forgive me if I am naive to the theory, but what do you
believe relevance is? What is knowledge? Do you guys accept minimalism as a
good formal theory of linguistic competence? Why or why not? Is pragmatics
a field that could potentially bridge the gap between competence and
emergence? Would you consider yourselves Platonist's (at least to an
extent)? Where do you stand on dualism/materialism? Malfet raises some good
points in saying that the theory lacks materiality. What is your stance on
categorization? Do you believe it was right to renounce behaviorism? What
is your stance on utilizing acquisition in RT? What is meaning?

Thanks for your time guys. I hope I can gain a better understanding of what
exactly we are dealing with and possibly contribute to the field.

Cheers!
Nick