RE: RT list: Help needed - sorry pressed the send button

From: Billy Clark <b.clark@mdx.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Aug 28 2012 - 10:12:51 BST

Yes, I think that's right. If I make mutually manifest an intention to communicate that it's raining, my communicative intention is fulfilled. My informative intention is only fulfilled if it becomes manifest to the addressee that it's raining (so not if they don't believe me).

I don't think something can be manifest to someone if they think it's false, since the definition of manifestness includes a reference to being able to represent something as true (or probably true). It can be manifest to me that people think that the earth is flat but not that the earth is flat (since I believe that's false).

Best wishes,

Billy