Re: RT list: Relevant experimental evidence from Yi Ting Huang & Jesse Snedeker

From: Richard Breheny <r.breheny@ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Oct 18 2011 - 13:27:47 BST

Hi Dan,

I have three comments:

1. Huang & Snedeker's conclusion is that a semantic representation is
constructed in context and then pragmatic inference takes place. This seems
to contrast strongly with the idea that pragmatic inference is involved at
all levels of processing (e.g. reference assignment and implicatures). So
their (interpretation of their) results tends to stand in contrast to the
Relevance Theory view.

2. Fortunately, the effect they get is due to a confound (the presence items
containing numerals in the same study). When one removes the offending items
one gets no difference in bias formation between the 'some' and 'all'
 items. Grodner and colleagues paper in Cognition 2010 uses the same kind of
paradigm as H&S and get the no-difference result. Our group have a paper
forthcoming in Language and Cognitive Processes that uses a different
paradigm that also shows no difference.

3. Only Levinson's neo-Gricean theory can be tested experimentally (It has
and it's wrong). Horn's (and other) version(s) only commit to default
availability (rather than generation) and generally refuse to be committed
to any model that would implement their theory. Fortunately, what can't be
tested can safely be ignored.

best,

Richard

--
Richard Breheny
Division of Psychology and Language Sciences