plausible) position.

Hanno Beck
USA & Germany
Received on Tue Feb 15 21:27:02 2011

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Tue Feb 15 2011 - 21:28:54 GMT

s class="headers"> From: Hanno T. Beck <banneker@progress.org>
Date: Tue Feb 15 2011 - 21:26:42 GMT

I wish to suggest that Drs. Gibbs and Guijarro are both right.

Taking these examples once more:

e.2.a. “Who has left the door open?”
e.2.b. “Between if”

and

e.3.a. “Who has left the door open?”
e.3.b. “The bicycle handlebar”

It does not seem excessive to claim that a hearer of e.2.b. or e.3.b.
will, in some way, try to make sense of what she has heard. Part of
this making-sense operation is probably going to involve deciding
whether the sounds can be taken to be a phrase of a language that she
knows. With e.3.b., most of us quickly reach the conclusion -- ah yes,
it's a noun phrase (and there are no homophonous other phrases that it
could well be). With e.2.b., we do not arrive at a conclusion so
quickly, and ultimately we may be forced to surmise that we are dealing
with the peculiar expression "between if" or have mis-heard what was
said, etc.

Does "trying to make sense of what we hear" constitute "computing
logical form"? If it's rea