Re: RT list: Non-sentential utterances, logical form, explicatures (e.g. in poetry)

From: MICHAEL MURPHY <4mjmu@rogers.com>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2011 - 00:07:36 GMT

Jose wrote:

The word representation, on the other hand may be used in art, as you say, but this does not mean that it can't be used in another field, namely, in (classical or symbolical) cognition. And in this world, cognitive representations are indeed the very gist of the research efforts. You may belong to the connectionist cognitive world, of course. If that is so, we may perhaps never meet theoretically.
I tend to agree with Jerry Fodor when he said, sometime ago, that the way to describe the work of cognitive mental representations is not (and cannot be) the physical one. There is nothing material in them; they are just a mental function which can only be described through a computing sort of expression. You may not find e.e. cummings poem anywhere in the physical innards of your computer where, I am sure, you have seen it, as I have in mine.
-----
My apologies for hijacking this thread.  Just as a last remark, I would ask Mr. Morales to have a look at this definition of the phrase "term of art".
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Term+of+Art

It does not mean what he thinks it means.

Cheers,

M.J.Murphy