RT list: Re: conference announcement

From: <jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Sat Jan 23 2010 - 20:12:58 GMT

My last post this week, I hope!

May I drop yet another procedural thing?

First, I want to thank the poster, A. Piskorska, for joining my thread
("Whartoniana") when sharing with the list the review of Wharton as
published in the Papers in Pragmatics she edits (And I see Wharton was
lecturer at C. Dolny some time ago).

The procedure: I belong to a couple of lists, and usually (a) we use
"CFP" as acronym, so that those whose schedule are too busy to think
they can be of use (or their wallets too meagre) can understand what it
is about and wish everyone good luck. (Plus, some have to attend their
swimming-pools!). On the other hand, (b) it has always sounded like a
good idea to me that whenever a "CFP" is advertised on a list, to look
forward to an announcement of the published proceedings (with full
table of contents) that would eventually follow, even if a year later!
(I have attended a couple of CFP things and think it only fair tat the
proceedings be published in toto).

I see this is a 5th in a series, which will have D. Wilson as one of
the three (as the current custom is) "plenary speaker". Wondering if
the previous encounters´ proceedings were published in toto, I would
like to share this with the list: a list-member´s research on this!

One finds that D. Wilson was plenary speaker in the fourth meeting,
too. And that the proceedigs were indeed published in toto by a Polish
press. (Full contents not freely available unless you pay to pull,
alas). The third meeting also had D. Wilson as plenary, along with my
friend T. Wharton, and D. Blakemore (nice website she has, and I was
pleased to to find she holds a B.A. from Wellington, the land of
Katherine Mansfield). I don´t think I recall what Wharton spoke then. I
expect Grice and-or interjection? Now, that would be some good research
"across languages and cultures". The second meeting had, again, D.
Wilson as one of the four plenary speakers, along with D. Sperber, and
R. Blass (H. D. White´s first introduction to RT, if we recall). While
the first encounter had D. Wilson (a fixture, I´m happy to say --
perfect presentism) and R. Carston.

So, maybe ONE day I´ll be able to visit "one of the most picturesque
towns in Poland" as the promotion goes! It looks properly mediaeval and
Oxonian to my taste, and I can talk and talk and talk about how Grice
should NEVER be translated! :-)). (Just think the headache it gives you
to have his "be relevant" in _Italian_ only!) (never mind his "meaning"
or "intending").

Anyway, best of success, and congrats on your perseverance!

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
   for the griceclub.blogspots.com
       The Speranza Villa, Bordighera

--
A. Piskorska: "We would like to announce that the fifth conference
"Interpreting for Relevance: Discourse and Translation"