RT list: Re: Grice on "appropriateness"

From: <jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 17:18:38 GMT

I was able to retrieve D. Sperber's message from the files:

In a message dated 31/12/2009 21:07:19 GMT, _dan.sperber@gmail.com_
(mailto:dan.sperber@gmail.com) writes:

>Push, Pull, and New Year wishes for the Relevance List [...]
>Wishes:
>For the list as a whole: That it should push only ...
>occasional content queries ... that
>
> most

[cfr. Altham, The logic of plurairty. Pleonetetic.]

>of us would ... find
>
> appropriate
>
>to receive.

And I see his good adjective is my "rich" posts. Thanks, I misremembered
them as 'full'!

---

Anyway, it's not that I'm playing sillily on the implicature (defeated, of
course) that the richness of my posts
is in any way "inappropriate".
feed.
Prof. Sperber adds:
>Oh, ... a Happy New Year to all!

which was kind of him, since, for one, he included me in the _all_!

Now back to Grice on 'appropriate', and, to use D. Sperber's phrase, "not
inappropriate". Surely not the same thing, and we're not saying Sperber
_means_  the same thing?
What is "appropriate"?

Grice was given a headache by it. (I prefer this clumsy wording  to "This
word gave Grice a headache"). He first uses it, in WoW:

VERY FIRST PASSAGE of his "William James Memorial (Bi-Annual)  Lectures",
Emerson Hall, Harvard, Spring Term.

"There is a familiar, and, to MANY,
very natural manoeuvre which is of
frequent occurrence in conceptual
inquiries. ... It proceeds as follows:
one beings with the observation
that a certain range of expressions E
... is such that its members
would NOT be used in application
to certain specimen situations, that their
use would be

           odd

or

             inappropriate

or even

            would  not make sense. ...

C is an

            appropriateness

condition (in a specially explained sense)
for alpha."

WoW, p.3

Since many have thought that 'be relevant' (e.g. Holdcroft, in his
undercited, "Conversational Relevance", or M. Dascal, "Conversational  Relevance")
is a pretty central 'notion' (:)), and that it may indeed subsume,
'appropriateness', I'm sharing this with this list!

Must rush now!

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
   for the Grice Club